Wood Duck Eggs

CHICKENLADY123

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 14, 2008
I am looking for fertile wood duck eggs to incubate. Is their a reason none of the hatcheries sell wood ducks ??? Need to be shipped to California

There are a few that sell wood ducks, but they sell juveniles or adults only. Not sure of the reasoning for that though.

I was watching an ebay listing for wood duck eggs, the breeders are near Sacramento CA, the auction ended, but you should try emailing the breeder to see if they have more available, I bet they do!

Here is the link to the Auction, if you are not already an ebay user, you will need to sign up to be able to email them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=140305236380

Good Luck!
fl.gif

They are a migratory species and any sellers must have a State or Federal permit. That may be why they are not as common. Anyone can sell a chicken egg but you must have a permit to sell Wood Duck eggs or live birds. Search this site and you will find a thread.

Chickenlady,

I believe the reason most people dont sell the eggs is because they are extremely delicate during the incubation process and if someone spent $10 an egg, got a dozen and only 2 hatched, they would basically be paying double the price of what a live pair costs. In my opinion its a huge risk to buy eggs and have them shipped across the country, then try to incubate them and hope for the best, but if a person wants to spend the money and take a risk on eggs, and has been successful in the past at hatching them, that person can save a bundle of money doing it that way rather than buying live birds, but again, ive heard stories of breeders selling eggs only to have their names smeared across the board because the eggs they sent someone didnt hatch. If you know the risk you are taking and are willing to accept the fact that you will be spending roughly $10 an egg and if they dont hatch then oh well, more power to ya!!

I would sell eggs all day long if i knew that a large percentage of them would hatch, it would be cheaper and less time consuming for me than raising the young till the fall when i sell them!!

Just remember, if you buy eggs, YOU are taking the risk, not the breeder.
wink.png

Last edited:
I see in the bid notes that the seller on ebay does have the leagl paperword to sell them. I hatched some Wood Duck eggs about ten days ago and hatchced 5 out of 6 so it can be done. I also hatched three chickens at the same time and the chicks taught the ducklings how to eat. I read here that it can be hard to get wood duck ducklings to eat starter feed but the chicks taught mine where the food was very quicky.

DSC00112.jpg

Thanks everyone for the links and comments. We just got two ducklings about 5 weeks ago (Rouen) and I love them. They are sooo cool. I looked on the website of duck "coops" and fell in love with the idea of having ducks. Move over chickens, the ducks are moving in. I agree with the whole egg hatching thing. I just received turkey chicks from McMurray's - one little one did not make it
sad.png
I get soo attached to these little ones and their mortality is too high for my heart. Think I will look into get juvinile...at least I will know the sex of them. Wish me luck and thanks again for the input.

Back
Top Bottom