?worms, ?parasites any idea what these are?

Kirstie1978

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 22, 2010
Hi everyone, apologies for the pic attached, any idea what these are?
I was clearing up the poop this morning from the garden and a coup,e of the poops had these in them. I've had a few of the bloody caecal poops recently and have given them all diatomaceous earth for a couple of days no found these this morning, I'm not sure if they are from the poop or the garden though... I have 4 chickens, 2 chicks about 3 months old and have never had works before but wanted to check if this was some thing I needed to treat them for?
Thank you

I'm no expert, but these look like insect larvae to me - looks like they have feet, segmented bodies and antennae. And likely just hatched from eggs laid on the poop.

But the bloody cecal poops would concern me that there may be cecal worms that you are not seeing. If you are certain there's blood and have seen more than an occasional spot, consider locating a vet or lab that will check the poops for intestinal worms and worm eggs. If you have no access, consider worming them just to be safe.

I magnified the pic. There's one below the tip of the arrow, and it has legs and what appears to antenna on its head. So, they must be insect larva, not worms. What kind of insect larva, I dont know.

Thank you, yeah the bloody poops have stopped I think (haven't seen any today) since dosing for a couple of days with diatomaceous earth in the food.... Yea I've seen a couple have legs hence not being sure if they were parasites or something! I have inspected near enough every poop that's happened today and the ones from overnight and haven't seen anything suspect in them.....
If there's anymore yucky ones I will get some medicated food with worker etc straight away.
Thank you
1f60a.png

If the blood is due to cecal worms or coccidia, DE won't help. Cecal worms can be treated with Valbazen 1/2 ml orally once and repeat in 10 days, or with SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer 1 ml given for 5 days straight to each chicken. Coccidia is treated with Corid (amprollium) in the water. Medicated feed won't treat an outbreak of cocci.

Found these today.... Any ideas what they are? Clearly worms. In a few of the chicks pooh.the vet is sorting out so,e wormer for collection tomorrow, curious to know what type.
So questions, how do I stop them getting them (never had an issue in 5 years) and secondly will this affect my dog at all as she has been eating chick poop recently
1f648.png
1f632.png

Hi everyone, apologies for the pic attached, any idea what these are?
I was clearing up the poop this morning from the garden and a coup,e of the poops had these in them. I've had a few of the bloody caecal poops recently and have given them all diatomaceous earth for a couple of days no found these this morning, I'm not sure if they are from the poop or the garden though... I have 4 chickens, 2 chicks about 3 months old and have never had works before but wanted to check if this was some thing I needed to treat them for?
Thank you
Did you find out what this is? What did you use to treat? I'm pretty sure THIS is what I found in my 2 week old's poo...

The original pic are insect larvae apparently with little legs. The second pic I believe these are roundworms. They look like human thread worms. They have been treated with flubenvet and there has been none visible since but they are being retreated in 3 weeks as per the guidelines on the medication. If these are in fresh just laid poop I would suggest worming. I am no expert but having seen horrific pics of these infesting chickens I went straight to the vet once I found them.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply
smile.png
I talked to a vet who confirmed tapeworm would be the only worm my chick was able to get at 2 weeks...said that it was highly unlikely and suggested to basically wait to treat until after feather development
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom