Wounded chicken. Please help.

Susan_B

In the Brooder
Sep 15, 2024
Hi! I am new to joining the group. I have a Leghorn that got out of the coop and was attacked by my grandfathers dog yesterday (Saturday) morning. I cleaned his wounds using a sealing and water mixture, got the feathers out with tweezers (very gently), then sprayed with hydrogen peroxide. From there I put a triple antibiotic ointment and she is residing in my bathroom.

Has been drinking water and recently pooped after I cleaned her wounds again but still refuses to eat? It's over 24 hrs no food but does drink. She can't stand but has a wound right above her leg which is probably a why. Is it normal to show no food interest?

Her back has an open wound but it's not as bad as a chicken I have rehabilitated previously. I've checked her entire body for any other ones but I'm concerned because she is only 3 months old.

I've attached her back wound picture below. 👇

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    514 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_7244.jpeg
    IMG_7244.jpeg
    288.2 KB · Views: 15
Don't use any more peroxide. Mix up some sterile saline solution and put it in a spray bottle or use Hibiclens to clean the wound twice daily, then coat with triple antibiotic ointment that does not have pain reliever in it.

Don't use any more peroxide. Mix up some sterile saline solution and put it in a spray bottle or use Hibiclens to clean the wound twice daily, then coat with triple antibiotic ointment that does not have pain reliever in it.
Is there a reason not to use the peroxide? I saw not to use iodine. I have the triple antibiotic ointment I used it doesn't contain pain reliever! So good thing 😳

Back
Top Bottom