Wyadotte Rooster Balance and Walking Issues

MrOrpington

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 7, 2015
IL
My rooster has been walking stiff legged for a long time since he was young. He also doesn't stand for very long and plops down in the middle of eating. More recently he hasn't been quite stable on uneven terrain. He still crows, eats, and drinks but is struggling with his mobility. I feel he should have been paralyzed by now if it was Mareks. He developed the walking funny over a year ago and dismissed it as just a goofy quirk. Any ideas? Thank you

Is there any way that you could upload a video to YouTube with a link posted here, of him walking around, showing his legs. Do his legs appear straight, or is there any bowing out or in of either leg? Does he walk or sit on his hocks? Have you tried giving him any human B complex vitamins?

Is there any way that you could upload a video to YouTube with a link posted here, of him walking around, showing his legs. Do his legs appear straight, or is there any bowing out or in of either leg? Does he walk or sit on his hocks? Have you tried giving him any human B complex vitamins?
I can upload one tomorrow. He kicks his legs straight out and does sit on his hocks. Have not tried any b vitamins

I agree vitamin defiency can cause all sorts of behaviors getting worse over time. They can even flip or walk backwards. Summer Sault even. Try B 2 vitamin and Poultry Cell. Has lots of vitamins in it. Hope this helps. Be patient though it takes awhile to pull them out of a defiency if that's the case. Also check his ears and make sure they are clear. The ears can cause balance issues as well. Hope this helps.

How old is he? Do his spurs need trimming and dulling? My older rooster with arthritis would kick out his legs. The video may help.

I agree vitamin defiency can cause all sorts of behaviors getting worse over time. They can even flip or walk backwards. Summer Sault even. Try B 2 vitamin and Poultry Cell. Has lots of vitamins in it. Hope this helps. Be patient though it takes awhile to pull them out of a defiency if that's the case. Also check his ears and make sure they are clear. The ears can cause balance issues as well. Hope this helps.
Ok thank you. Ears check out, so I will see if giving him some B 2 helps.

How old is he? Do his spurs need trimming and dulling? My older rooster with arthritis would kick out his legs. The video may help.
He is 2 years. His spurs don't seem to be causing too many issues. It almost seems like a whole back and leg stiffness.

I usually recommend 1/2 tablet of super B complex or just B complex. They have plenty (about 20mg) of riboflavin and all other B vitamins, and some C. Riboflavin tablets have tablet 200 mg in them, but you can use those if you just scrape a little into food or a treat every day. Hopefully, the vitamins will help. Look to see if either of his legs looks bowed in or out. Leg bone deformities can cause issues walking, and varus or valgus is common.

Back
Top Bottom