YO GEORGIANS! :)

I got some beautiful chicks (from hatching eggs) from a lady in FL. Her son won several prizes with his SF chickens. If I get hatching eggs again for SF, I will get them from her again. If you are interested in getting hatching SF eggs from her, PM me. I I only wanted one and sold all but this one. Right after I took this photo, I put her outside in the yard and a hawk got her! I was heartsick! She was only a few months old, but she was getting really cute! I sold the others to a local lady. I wonder if she has hatching eggs yet? I think I will call her and find out! Will let you know!
Awesome! Thanks :)

Well hatch rate for my first hatching experience was 0%. Out of 6 eggs, 1 was infertile, 2 were quiters, 2 were misaligned (curled up with their heads at the bottom of the shell), and the last one I have no clue what happened. It pipped internally and was in a good position but did not make it further than that. So sad. I'm positive it was from the horrible temp and humidity fluctuations that came with the homemade incubator.

I'm better off having someone incubate for me then risking pricey Serama eggs. lol.

Well hatch rate for my first hatching experience was 0%. Out of 6 eggs, 1 was infertile, 2 were quiters, 2 were misaligned (curled up with their heads at the bottom of the shell), and the last one I have no clue what happened. It pipped internally and was in a good position but did not make it further than that. So sad. I'm positive it was from the horrible temp and humidity fluctuations that came with the homemade incubator.

I'm better off having someone incubate for me then risking pricey Serama eggs. lol.
Bad positioning is usually because you stored eggs with pointed side up and/or put in incubator that way. They should be stored with pointy side down. Yea, homemade incubators are rough to keep steady. Must be in a location that does not get any temperature swings from outside weather, inside air conditioner/heater or near windows (sunlight, etc).

I am getting some eggs from a lady in FL in a few weeks. My son is going down there next week and staying a few weeks. While there, he is picking me up some Croad Langshan and real Araucana eggs. The lady has some Serama's but I don't want Bantams, but if you want them, I could ask her for some of those, too. My son would be bringing them back so no shipping involved. Let me know.

Broody hens do a great job at incubating eggs! Do you have a broody hen? Also, I have some 1 month old roos, do you want any?

DOES ANYONE WANT MY EXTRA ROOS?????? HELP! I hatched 7 eggs and 5 are boys! That's my luck!

Bad positioning is usually because you stored eggs with pointed side up and/or put in incubator that way. They should be stored with pointy side down. Yea, homemade incubators are rough to keep steady. Must be in a location that does not get any temperature swings from outside weather, inside air conditioner/heater or near windows (sunlight, etc).

I am getting some eggs from a lady in FL in a few weeks. My son is going down there next week and staying a few weeks. While there, he is picking me up some Croad Langshan and real Araucana eggs. The lady has some Serama's but I don't want Bantams, but if you want them, I could ask her for some of those, too. My son would be bringing them back so no shipping involved. Let me know.

Broody hens do a great job at incubating eggs! Do you have a broody hen? Also, I have some 1 month old roos, do you want any?

DOES ANYONE WANT MY EXTRA ROOS?????? HELP! I hatched 7 eggs and 5 are boys! That's my luck!

They were not stored or put in incubator pointy side down as I was warned about that one over and over however someone suggested that the huge fluxes in temps could have caused the chicks to become disoriented and move into the wrong position.

That would be awesome if it wasn't for the fact that I don't have a broody hen! *pouts* they all got locked into their new coop yesterday so they are all agitated and settling in so no one is going broody. That would be just my stinkin' luck!

Hey Flowerbh..hope all is well your way. I've got 10 Tolbunt Polish eggs in my Genesis 1588 with auto turner. Today is day 5 so I'll candle for the first time when it gets dark. They came from Michigan and were wrapped in bubble wrap etc. hoping for at least a few good hatches. They rested for 24 hours point down before I put them in. I've been charting temp and humidity through out each day with only a very slight flux in both with in a degree up or down then back to normal. I have a unit in the room measuring temp/humidity also as it seems to make a difference in the incubator (keeping track of that to). Okay so I'm a wee bit OCD about things like this, if I get some little cheapers out of it I'm fine with that :) I can't wait until tonight and resting day for the next candle event as it is very difficult functioning with my fingers, toes and eyes crossed for good luck.

Hey Flowerbh..hope all is well your way. I've got 10 Tolbunt Polish eggs in my Genesis 1588 with auto turner. Today is day 5 so I'll candle for the first time when it gets dark. They came from Michigan and were wrapped in bubble wrap etc. hoping for at least a few good hatches. They rested for 24 hours point down before I put them in. I've been charting temp and humidity through out each day with only a very slight flux in both with in a degree up or down then back to normal. I have a unit in the room measuring temp/humidity also as it seems to make a difference in the incubator (keeping track of that to). Okay so I'm a wee bit OCD about things like this, if I get some little cheapers out of it I'm fine with that :) I can't wait until tonight and resting day for the next candle event as it is very difficult functioning with my fingers, toes and eyes crossed for good luck.

Good luck with the candling! I usually wait until day 10 to candle for the first time because by then you KNOW if there is something there or not. It's hard for me to see and tell that much about what is going on inside until day 10. Just old eyes I guess. And don't drop them! My first hatch, I only did 2 eggs and on the day I put them in lockdown, I dropped one! I don't think I ever dropped an egg in my life before, but I dropped that one! Held the poor little blue Isbar (yea, expensive egg at $13 each!) until it died and I was crying and saying "I'm so sorry!" over and over again! We named the one that hatched, Nemo (even though it is a girl) because it was the only one left......like in the movie.

You have the same incubator I do. I like it although I put extra hygrometers/thermometers in with it. They all read different, so it's hard to know which one is right! Ugh!

Looks like I will be getting my bator out again! I wanted a Croad Langshan and a real true Araucana. When I was in FL, I was right down the street from a lady who had some chicks, but I took the Mega Bus down and couldn't bring live chicks back and she didn't have eggs right then, so now my son is going down and will bring me back some eggs. My young blue gene carrying rooster is visiting my hens now so I may see if I can hatch a frizzle or two and some mixed fun colored eggs layers from my own hens!

Let us know how the candling turned out!

Good luck with the candling! I usually wait until day 10 to candle for the first time because by then you KNOW if there is something there or not. It's hard for me to see and tell that much about what is going on inside until day 10. Just old eyes I guess. And don't drop them! My first hatch, I only did 2 eggs and on the day I put them in lockdown, I dropped one! I don't think I ever dropped an egg in my life before, but I dropped that one! Held the poor little blue Isbar (yea, expensive egg at $13 each!) until it died and I was crying and saying "I'm so sorry!" over and over again! We named the one that hatched, Nemo (even though it is a girl) because it was the only one left......like in the movie.

You have the same incubator I do. I like it although I put extra hygrometers/thermometers in with it. They all read different, so it's hard to know which one is right! Ugh!

Looks like I will be getting my bator out again! I wanted a Croad Langshan and a real true Araucana. When I was in FL, I was right down the street from a lady who had some chicks, but I took the Mega Bus down and couldn't bring live chicks back and she didn't have eggs right then, so now my son is going down and will bring me back some eggs. My young blue gene carrying rooster is visiting my hens now so I may see if I can hatch a frizzle or two and some mixed fun colored eggs layers from my own hens!

Let us know how the candling turned out!

Okay out of 10 eggs....1 was infertile...1 had a blood ring..the other 8 all had clear veins although the dark spot was faint in a couple. My sweet hubby who of course keeps saying "this is all your thing" made me wait until he could come sit and watch, the end result was two sets of eyes which is good it eliminated wishful thinking seeing veins. I was going to use one of those little LED flashlights, but then I saw a homemade candle box on youtube. I had the scrap and have the know how so I built it and I am so glad I did. It cut out some of the "drop" factor in the dark. It lit up the eggs like a neon sign (no heat as I used a LED bulb inside). The blank space seems pretty big to this novice. You can't really see the veins in this pic but they were obvious in person.

I'll only candle now when I take them out of the auto turner to la them to rest for hatch in the incubator. Technically a full day from set is at 1:25pm. Should I put them to rest before work at 5:30am or when I get home around 6:30 o so? I'm trying to do everything by the book.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom