YO GEORGIANS! :)

So they won't eat the eggs.... but they will sleep in them. What a bunch of weirdos. As you can also see they don't sleep under the light. I assume that is because it is too hot? It's 90 degrees under the heat lamp and the heat lamp is over 4 feet from the floor. Any suggestions?

If I were you... leave the heat lamp on. It's 90 degrees under the lamp, but the rest of the brooder is probably cooler, so it gives THEM the chance to choose what temperature they want.

In this photo, it looks like they are "comfortable" because they are all scattered around and mostly doing chickie-type things. They're eating, drinking, moving around, and falling asleep in a small pile with each other. That's perfect.

When a hen takes care of the chicks, they spend VERY little time underneath her after the first three days or so. Once they get out of the nest and learn to walk, eat, forage, etc., they usually only go under her at night. On chilly days, she'll stop in the middle of nowhere and let them get back under her for a bit to warm up. And then it's back out to forage and play. So the fact that they aren't under the heat lamp, tells me it's not too cold. And doing normal chickie things tells me it's not actually too hot either. Plus the little small pile of sleeping chicks next to the water says they aren't too hot - because they still pile up to sleep. Well, mostly. Lol!

HOWEVER, when you turned the heat lamp off and they all suddenly snuggled up underneath where it was and got into a tight bunch, that told me it might be too chilly. So leave the heat lamp on, and you can leave it at the height it is at, too. Just make sure they have room to get away from it, like you seem to have done, and don't put the food or water under it (which you've also done). They're fine where they are.

Morning all! Anyone doing big chicken projects today? I will be patching a leaky coop and continuing to build my breeding pens until the rain comes late today- Blah. We just got dry enough to walk across the place without needing mud boots.

Not I. Just a "normal" day here, except my sister rented one of those professional carpet cleaners from Wal-mart and plans to do the entire house. Don't see it going over well, but we'll see how far she gets!

Thanks! They are pretty cute little ladies. This is how they were when I went back in after having the lamp off for about 15 minutes.
Adorable!!
Morning all! Anyone doing big chicken projects today? I will be patching a leaky coop and continuing to build my breeding pens until the rain comes late today- Blah. We just got dry enough to walk across the place without needing mud boots.
I did the BIG project yesterday. (Tractor). Today I'll be fixing new nipple waterers. It's going to be a beautiful day!

We're building the turkey enclosure today. And processing rabbits. And hopefully getting the monster to hold temp so I can set eggs.
I can't wait to see how many eggs you can fit in there!

Not I. Just a "normal" day here, except my sister rented one of those professional carpet cleaners from Wal-mart and plans to do the entire house. Don't see it going over well, but we'll see how far she gets!
That's something I NEED to do but every time I consider the idea, it rains. We haven't gotten a great established lawn yet so hubby and pooch would just ruin all my hard work by lunch.

Morning all. Another day of burning limbs and those dang thorny trees limbs. :weee this morning I discovered something tried to get in the coop from the access door inside the barn. Time to reenforce and set a trap.

I would supervise them when you put them together. Sometimes it takes a few days for the pullet to get familiar with the roo enough to let him breed her. But if she's submissive enough, she may just go right down when he grabs her.

The hard part about using a "stud" rooster, is if she has been with any other rooster within the three weeks prior to being put with him, she MAY still lay eggs with the other roo's sperm. So if she is with a black copper maran roo, and one day you take her over to your friend's house, and she submits instantly, she MAY still be laying eggs with the black copper maran's sperm for up to three weeks. And yes, they really do last that long - I had to test it recently with a bantam hen that was laying phoenix eggs LONG after she was separated from him. Took me forever to get the eggs I wanted!

So if you're going to do that, make sure she is separated from all roosters for three full weeks prior to taking her to your friend's house.
Thanks. No chance of other roosters. We rehome them as soon as they crow. (Renters don't like them). Anyway, it will be months from now anyway.

Back
Top Bottom