YO GEORGIANS! :)

Hi GA folks! may be off topic, just looking for some honest opinions for handling a situation:

We just got our first flock 5 weeks ago, small, only 4. It is highly likely that 2 are roos. We are going to build the coop for 8 hens, because that is the limit DH and I agreed on. The original "plan" was to start with 4 BOs this year, and double the flock next spring & get a rooster later. We love them so much we decided to maybe get 4 more hens sooner than that, instead of waiting until spring. Here's the issue: if we have 2 roos, one of them obviously has to be re-homed. We will see if our neighbor maybe wants it. He says he loves the sound of a rooster. Or perhaps someone else interested.

Now, with 1 roo and 2 ladies, the issue becomes not enough hens to justify the roo, and did I mention the roos just happen to be my favorites?
sad.png

We are thinking that maybe, we should go ahead, add 5 or 6 more now and keep one of the roos. I would prefer different ones, because we planned on a mixed flock. What would y'all do if you were in this situation? It's not a major problem, just a possible need to adjust according to the cards dealt. ANd would the roo need his own little shelter since the coop will only acommodate 8 birds?

Feel free to respond in private message if you don't want to clutter up this thread with this topic. I asked here because y'all are local, and if adding the new birds now is best option, then I also need recommendations to find birds.

Thanks for your time, y'all!
hu.gif

You better be saving me a female chocolate runner!!! And, I love my Exchequer Leghorn from you! Lays nice big eggs already!
I have an Exchequer Leghorn from Meyer's Hatchery. I think it's a mutant. It's normal sized (just a little smaller than my other hens), but lays MINIATURE eggs. She's a very consistent layer, but they are not getting any bigger. It's been 9 months since she started laying, so I think they are as big as they get.

I have an Exchequer Leghorn from Meyer's Hatchery.  I think it's a mutant.  It's normal sized (just a little smaller than my other hens), but lays MINIATURE eggs.  She's a very consistent layer, but they are not getting any bigger.  It's been 9 months since she started laying, so I think they are as big as they get.

Now to help you out.... If space is the issue then get rid of one rooster, get your additional hens. The more hens, the less stress each one gets from constant breeding. If you just don't think two roosters can live together, that usually not the case for birds that grow up together.

We have roosters running around all over the place that get along fine. And they weren't even raised together. They just got used to each other and established their heirarchy. No problems.

Hi GA folks! may be off topic, just looking for some honest opinions for handling a situation:

We just got our first flock 5 weeks ago, small, only 4. It is highly likely that 2 are roos. We are going to build the coop for 8 hens, because that is the limit DH and I agreed on. The original "plan" was to start with 4 BOs this year, and double the flock next spring & get a rooster later. We love them so much we decided to maybe get 4 more hens sooner than that, instead of waiting until spring. Here's the issue: if we have 2 roos, one of them obviously has to be re-homed. We will see if our neighbor maybe wants it. He says he loves the sound of a rooster. Or perhaps someone else interested.

Now, with 1 roo and 2 ladies, the issue becomes not enough hens to justify the roo, and did I mention the roos just happen to be my favorites?
sad.png

We are thinking that maybe, we should go ahead, add 5 or 6 more now and keep one of the roos. I would prefer different ones, because we planned on a mixed flock. What would y'all do if you were in this situation? It's not a major problem, just a possible need to adjust according to the cards dealt. ANd would the roo need his own little shelter since the coop will only acommodate 8 birds?

Feel free to respond in private message if you don't want to clutter up this thread with this topic. I asked here because y'all are local, and if adding the new birds now is best option, then I also need recommendations to find birds.

Thanks for your time, y'all!
hu.gif

I can't figure out how this is off topic?????? Oh, and I would suggest keeping the roos and getting more hens. Limits on chicken numbers....
gig.gif

Hey group
frow.gif

Been awhile since I have posted anything on here but I do lurk in the shadows abit But anyway I have some black Australorp chicks that are in need of a good home I am asking $3 each if anyone is needing some chicks They are healthy and cute Will be waiting by the puter to hear from anyone
caf.gif

I'm in, so we're halfway there. Now to work on the DW. I checked my email between posts and they said they were out for now but should have more in two weeks. That would be about right. Apparently,we aren't the only folks wanting guinea eggs.

I will be going to Robo's, too! Are we doing a pot luck lunch??? I'll bring eggs! LOL!

Back
Top Bottom