YO GEORGIANS! :)

I had a nasty surprise waiting for me yesterday afternoon. We had gone out of town for the night. My neighbor opened and closed the coop for us to keep the raccoons out, but they didn't check for eggs. I opened up the nesting boxes, and instead I found:

All that was left were two eggs (1 cracked) and a mess of yolk and broken shells. We figure it ate at least 5 eggs.

It was a garter snake (biggest one I've seen), so it got off with a warning. If it comes back, we're having snake steaks!

I had a nasty surprise waiting for me yesterday afternoon. We had gone out of town for the night. My neighbor opened and closed the coop for us to keep the raccoons out, but they didn't check for eggs. I opened up the nesting boxes, and instead I found:

All that was left were two eggs (1 cracked) and a mess of yolk and broken shells. We figure it ate at least 5 eggs.

It was a garter snake (biggest one I've seen), so it got off with a warning. If it comes back, we're having snake steaks!
Snakes don't tend to take warnings very seriously. I would keep a good watch, because once it has found food, it will be back. If you bagged it and drove it several miles from your home and then released it, you might not see it again.

Snakes don't tend to take warnings very seriously. I would keep a good watch, because once it has found food, it will be back. If you bagged it and drove it several miles from your home and then released it, you might not see it again.
Oh trust me, I will definitely be watching out, and I will look carefully before just reaching into the nesting boxes too! I can't tell you how many times I've blindly reached in there for eggs...especially at night! I'm hoping that if it makes a return, my DH will be home....I'm a complete wimp when it comes to snakes. Or maybe my 9yo will rescue me.

ep.gif

Oh trust me, I will definitely be watching out, and I will look carefully before just reaching into the nesting boxes too!  I can't tell you how many times I've blindly reached in there for eggs...especially at night!  I'm hoping that if it makes a return, my DH will be home....I'm a complete wimp when it comes to snakes.  Or maybe my 9yo will rescue me.

:eek:

My 9 year old would sure be glad to help you out. She squealed with delight when she found this little guy yesterday...

Is anyone else taking the Walker County candling class Wednesday? Myself and my DH are scheduled for the 4:00 pm class.

yep, I'll be there 4pm class as well

did you print out the material they sent? I would hope they'd have it there to pass out, that one is 56 pages long and has a LOT of color in it if you try to print it

Last edited:
Oh trust me, I will definitely be watching out, and I will look carefully before just reaching into the nesting boxes too! I can't tell you how many times I've blindly reached in there for eggs...especially at night! I'm hoping that if it makes a return, my DH will be home....I'm a complete wimp when it comes to snakes. Or maybe my 9yo will rescue me.

ep.gif
just put on a pair of heavy leather gloves and pick it up (non venomous of course). But once they've found a food source, they will be back.

Normally, I'd say don't kill a non-venemous snake, but if it's after your eggs, I say kill it. If you were closer, I'd take it. I like snakes.

Everyone is right. They will return for the food source.

Back
Top Bottom