Zone 3

I used to be in zone 3. We are In a bit of a cold pocket here, and used to hit 40 below once per winter.
We did not move south, but the warm weather seems to have moved north. 20 below is the lowest temperature we have seen in quite a few years.
I put black plastic down on much of my garden, and may crops (like peppers) get floating row covers on top of that. Last year, we added hoop houses and I grew large quantities of eggplant for the first time ever!

Our bleeding hearts, tulips and chives are up. All the trees are green and in blossom.

I am looking to plant some rhubarb and am considering other edible plantings, maybe an apple tree and a plot of potatoes.

I like the idea of cold frames, row covers and hoop houses, but I'm almost certain my dogs would destroy them, so raised beds are in order for me.

One thing we've had problems with in the last few years with this warming climate, is our trees bloom too early, and then get hit by frost. Pears grow well here, but one year we had none because of this. This year, it happened again, although the frost was lighter and it is looking like we'll get at least some pears. We lost some of our asparagus to frost this year.

I enjoy trying crops that don't really belong here, and have had success with sweet potatoes and even a few peanuts! We have a large magnolia right up against the south side of the house. Wish I'd planted it farther away!

Gardening is the coolest thing to make yourself free from stress. It's good to this at early morning so that you can grow plants and feel fresh air also at same time.

beauty box

I enjoy trying crops that don't really belong here, and have had success with sweet potatoes and even a few peanuts!

I'd love to try sweet potatoes! Is there a variety you recommend?

Georgia Jet and Beauregard are a sure bet. I also tried some purple skinned and white-fleshed varieties from Sandhill Preservation. They have hundreds of varieties! I recommend black plastic to keep the soil warm, weeds suppressed, and to prevent the sweet potato vines from setting down roots all over the place (you won't get many sweet potatoes if they set down other roots). They are fun to grow. :)

Back
Top Bottom