A re-introduction

iritha

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 2, 2017
Hello!

I joined quite a few years ago but didn't end up spending time here since I didn't manage to get a flock started as hoped (& was so disappointed about that that I stayed away from online chicken-keeping communities)

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I experimented with trying to establish a flock in 2019 and 2020 but both years I was unexpectedly unable to sort everything out to keep them over the winter.

After a 2yr interruption in my attempts, I finally got ahold of some Chanteclers in 2022 (the breed I really wanted to work with) and added a few Ameraucanas to ensure I had enough body heat in the unheated coop for the winter. Love the flock!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

9; four Chantecler hens and five Ameraucana hens.

(3) What breeds do you have?

white Chanteclers, and white/black splash/self blue/blue/blue wheaten Ameraucanas.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

Almost no food waste from the kitchen because it can go to the flock, plus they turn those kitchen trimmings into compost faster than my compost pile would without chicken involvement.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I'm fully immersed in some extensive positive reinforcement training of my 2yr old Australian Shepherd/Maremma cross doggo; I'm a "beyond organic" vegetable gardener, I live to cook (and eat), I'm playing around with growing food crop trees from seed, and I play the alto recorder.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I live alone. My daughter is 23 and lives far away; I miss her terribly. In addition to the dog I mentioned training, I have a small tuxedo cat and a small calico cat. Until I obtain a rooster in a month or so, that's all 13 residents of this property who are female!

I'm on Disability and don't work. Everything gets done verrrrrry slowly around here, and chaotically, but I enjoy my small, quiet life.

Hello!

I joined quite a few years ago but didn't end up spending time here since I didn't manage to get a flock started as hoped (& was so disappointed about that that I stayed away from online chicken-keeping communities)

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I experimented with trying to establish a flock in 2019 and 2020 but both years I was unexpectedly unable to sort everything out to keep them over the winter.

After a 2yr interruption in my attempts, I finally got ahold of some Chanteclers in 2022 (the breed I really wanted to work with) and added a few Ameraucanas to ensure I had enough body heat in the unheated coop for the winter. Love the flock!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

9; four Chantecler hens and five Ameraucana hens.

(3) What breeds do you have?

white Chanteclers, and white/black splash/self blue/blue/blue wheaten Ameraucanas.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

Almost no food waste from the kitchen because it can go to the flock, plus they turn those kitchen trimmings into compost faster than my compost pile would without chicken involvement.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I'm fully immersed in some extensive positive reinforcement training of my 2yr old Australian Shepherd/Maremma cross doggo; I'm a "beyond organic" vegetable gardener, I live to cook (and eat), I'm playing around with growing food crop trees from seed, and I play the alto recorder.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I live alone. My daughter is 23 and lives far away; I miss her terribly. In addition to the dog I mentioned training, I have a small tuxedo cat and a small calico cat. Until I obtain a rooster in a month or so, that's all 13 residents of this property who are female!

I'm on Disability and don't work. Everything gets done verrrrrry slowly around here, and chaotically, but I enjoy my small, quiet life.
Welcome back. You can count on us as your resource to help you with your chicken journey. Ask questions as needed.

Howdy, :frow
3744768-7d69e0c0ccdaede47cc39e079e0eafa7.gif

Back
Top Bottom