Are frizzle roosters loud?

plymouthrox

In the Brooder
Mar 15, 2015
So I just found out my frizzle is a boy, waking up at 5 to a rooster crow is the most heart breaking thing in the world. I am not allowed to have roosters in my neighborhood. :( His crow now is very weak. Does this breed tend to have a quiet crow or will I need to rehome him? He is gorgeous and I will do anything to be able to keep him! Thanks!

Sorry your frizzle has turned out to be a boy. I have 2 Roos, 1 frizzle and 1 smooth of the polish variety. They are both the same as in loudness of their crow. Although the smooth roo is more high pitch that the frizzle.

Has he just started to crow? Is this why you think it's a weak crow? If so he will probably get louder as he ages and gets all the crowing gear into order I'm afraid. Roos I have had have done this, some have had the most pathetic and feeble crow when they first start.

Could you possibly try a no crow collar? I've not had personal experience of these but some have found they work others not, so mixed reviews of them. I'm sure if you type "No crow collar" into the search box there will be threads for them.

Good luck.

thanks! I've had him for 3 days and it's the first time I've heard him crow, but I'm thinking someone dumped him after hearing him. I'll research that collar! It'd be great if I could keep him!

All roosters are loud, it's just a question of relativity. You can try a no crow collar but BYC members have had mixed success with them. You can read some of the cons they've reported at https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/967331/no-crow-rooster-collar. I've never used them myself, but based on what I've read, they don't actually eliminate the crow completely, they just reduce the volume of it. Personally, as heartbreaking as it is, I would recommend re-homing your rooster since your subdivision does not allow them. Sooner or later, some cranky neighbor is going to notice him and inevitably report you. :eek:(

As others have suggested, you could look into the no crow collars. From what I have read on them they are meant to prevent the air-sack from filling completely so they can not produce the full volume crow. You could possibly ask for a trial period variance from your HOA to try the collar, then if it works out seek a change to the bylaws to include roosters if the collar is in use.

Otherwise I have a friend that wants a frizzle roo, send me a PM.

I've had several roosters over the years, 2 were frizzles; father and son. All the roosters were related to each other, but the 2 frizzles were quieter than everyone else. They do crow, but it's lower pitch and almost "gravely". They are the only roosters that my husband likes because they won't wake him up in the morning haha.

Back
Top Bottom