Chick Tractor /Daytime Playpen

Lisa Pedro

Songster
7 Years
Jun 12, 2012
Christmas, FL
My Coop
My Coop
Over the weekend we built a cute little chicken tractor. It was very simple, it is 3' wide x 3' tall and 6' long (not including the handles which make it 8' long) . It is the chicks daytime playpen. They are still in the house at night till we build our new coop. We will be adding wheels to one end to move it around, otherwise I just ask my sons or husband to move it. The chicks love it. What do you think?
The piece of wood leaning on it was just for extra shade but not part of it. The cat was enjoying it.
The top has about a 3 inch overhang on each side so I am going to hang some shade cloth curtains on the sides to control the sun more. And when not in use they will be rolled up and tied up.

Here are some of the babies.

The black stuff is plastic poultry netting and it is attached with cable staples with the white part turned backwards.
We have 20 - 12 day old assorted Bantams in it right now and next month it will have our new Royal Purple Guinea Keets in it.

"The top has about a 3 inch overhang on each side so I am going to hang some shade cloth curtains on the sides to control the sun more. And when not in use they will be rolled up and tied up."

Shades .. Brilliant! Why didn't I think of that?? I have them on my porch, so you think I'd have thought of them for the chickens, too. D'oh! I'm off to Home Depot tomorrow to get some. Thanks!

Thank you. They love it outside And I check on them 5 million times during the day to make sure they are ok. I still bring them in at night.. And now the little white one that is on top of that branch in the one picture flies up to me everytime I poke my head in there. She lands on my hand or my shoulder. Very cute.

As far as the cats, that gray one is the only one that worries me. We have 3 big cats and they have been around chickens and chicks before without any problems as you can see from my profile picture. But it has been about 5 years since we have had chickens. Well that little gray and pink cat named "Pinky", is my sons cat and she is only about 9 months old and this is new to her. So I really have to watch her. If the chicks were already big, I don't think there would be a problem at all. I think she is learning not to touch!

I thought my own cats would be a problem when I got the chicks. But, I had them in a brooder in the garage for a few months before the coop was ready, so the girls were a decent size before the cats even figured out they were here. Since it's 7 (chickens) to 2 (cats) I think the cats know they're outnumbered. They're not quite sure what to make of the girls. I wish they had the same trepidations about the wild birds in the feeders.

Back
Top Bottom