Coturnix quail death - prolapsed vent? Parasites? (Graphic)

streetmutt

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 20, 2014
One of my quail died suddenly today. She showed signs of distress yesterday - kind of craning and trying to burp looking. I pulled her out to examine her. She was limp at first and I was certain she only had minutes. I looked at her vent and it was bulging, but nothing sticking out.

She started to wake up a bit and before I could get her quarantine ready, she was acting like a normal bird.

That was a big mistake, I guess. And I sort of consoled myself by saying she's only in her first week or so of laying so perhaps she just was getting really into laying a big egg. Ugh. Although this morning, my fears continued to be allayed because she was perky and fine.

Just a few hours after morning feeding, I came by with sprouts. She was alive and well. Then I came by a few hours later to check for eggs and she was dead.

Rigormortis hadn't set in yet so it was recent. I removed her quickly and took these photos and buried her:

I feel awful. This is my first year with quail and I know I missed something that could have saved her life. I wish I hadn't just thought she was ok. I wish I had just taken her to the vet.

Please tell me what could have caused this so I can prevent it for my other girls.

That doesn't look like a prolapse to me but might have been egg bound. Did you feel her underbelly to check for a stuck egg? I am not a pro here but that is what I believe happened to her. Sorry for your loss.

To be honest, I was too upset to thoroughly examine her. I probably could exhume her later but I'm not sure I could.

Really hard to say without a necropsy, it could have been eggbound like GrandmaBird pointed out. A couple of times I've even had birds die suddenly from natural causes that weren't foreseeable, like heart failure. Unless you have other sick looking birds I wouldn't be too worried about parasites yet.

You'll have to do some research to find out exactly who and where to send them, but if you are keeping fowl long term you will want to find out about your states necropsy programs. Here in CA it is the department of agriculture. It may be different where you are. Chickens are usually free, but game birds usually cost around $100. You send the carcass to them and they do a full necropsy and give you the results. It's a great way to ensure that spontaneous deaths aren't disease or parasite related.

The three hens that shared the pen with this bird are exhibiting lethargy. They are just not acting quite right - but it comes and goes. The rooster seems fine. This is pretty clear it must be a viral or bacterial infection, right? What are my next steps? Dewormer?

I tried to get a pic of them half closing their eyes while eating, and pausing while eating, but by the time I came out they were acting normal again ...

Last edited:
OK one just had a lethargic episodes. They seem to last like 30-45 seconds and then the hen acts like nothing happened for 10 min or so.

I have some video but not sure how to load it here (can upload to YouTube). Basically, she just stands there closing her eyes and slightly wobbly. Then she shakes her head and begins acting like a quail.

Holy smokes, what am I dealing with? I'm so nervous!

ETA: I've quarantined the flock (4 birds) in a cat carrier and brought them inside away from the other birds. In addition to a clean carrier with clean shavings, I have sanitized their waterer and feed bowl. I've covered the carrier to reduce stress and prevent egg laying (but you wouldn't know it with how active they're being ... ).

Going to TSC to pick up medicated feed for them.

ETA2: they have diatomaceous earth pre-mixed into their feed, but now I'm wondering if I need to give them some wazine too. What are thoughts? Worms and wazine first, and also medicated feed? Or is that too shocking for their system?

Last edited:
Hon, I'd like to see the video, but it looks to me like they might be napping. I wouldn't worry too much, it wont help you or the birds.

That's exactly what I thought about the other quail. But my girls are always famished and when I put new food down, they devour it ... only today they ate and then "napped" and then ate. All but three of my quails have names based on personality differences for the pharoahs since most of them look alike. And the reason three don't have names because I use Q names and I'm running out of imagination lol But I know them by personality. The point being that this isn't normal behavior for them. I know what they look like napping (they snuggle down in their sand boxes or in the back corner where they lay their eggs)

The one in the video is Quesadilla. She and Questa seem to be the most lethargic (Questa trots up to drink water while I'm filming). Quistine and Quincy don't seem to be showing much if any symptoms.

0.jpg

Back
Top Bottom