Crowing all night long!!!! Never sleep?

2txmedics

Songster
10 Years
Jul 5, 2009
Manvel Texas
Ok, This is something new since maybe winter...my Roos are crowing at all hours of the night NON STOP!!! Its like they dont sleep at all....the main one crowing is Big Daddy...I will hear him all day long between 6am til 4pm...and then around 8pm til about 5am non stop!!!

Does he ever sleep, can this hurt him??? Why is he doing this? and he is alert during the day like he is rested. He btw is the one that is attacking me now as of maybe 3-4mos ago...BIG DADDY in my pictures.

I had a rooster that done that. I figured out why.I had him in a breeding pen with a hen,and the pen was under one of my dusk till dawn lights(security light). I moved the pen away from the light, and quess what.He stopped.I quess he must have thought it was daytime all the time.HA!

During the summer, when the moon is full, I can make a pretty accurate count of how many roos are being kept in the general vicinity by the random crowing that the glow inspires.

Might also be extended dominance posturing if the roos roost together.

Well he is the only Roo in that coop/run...so not that, and its not any light coming in, I have no lighting out that way and they are in complete dark once the sun goes down...So Im lost....There are other roos out in that area, but they are in the coops behind the main coop and they can not see each other...and only Big Daddy is the only one crowing...others sleeping.

I had a Jersey Giant rooster that would start his morning crowing at 2 am, and crow about once every 2-5 minutes until 7 am...

I finally learned to put him in a cage in my horse trailer at night, with a blanket over it so he could not see any light until I was ready for him to wake up. It worked for mine, maybe it will work on yours? Put the cage somewhere safe and warm so he can be comfortable. It should be a fairly small cage too, I think, but big enough he can move around comfortably, like a show cage.

lol I live on 4 acres out in the country...so neighbors no problem...lol, it doesnt bother me that he crows...just was worried about him being up all night long and not sleeping...

Back
Top Bottom