Do I have feather mites? PLEASE HELP. Pics

marthalazar

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
11458_img_3619.jpg

11458_img_3615.jpg

I posted this before but didn't get a response. My hen started losing feathers on her neck. I washed her vent area because it was looking dirty and saw a lot of broken feathers and a sore. There is also a bit of yellow/white flakey/crust at the base of some of the feathers.

I don't have a rooster and I don't think she's molting because the feathers are breaking, not falling out. She scratches also.

I've been dusting w/ DE and spraying Poultry Protector and Permethrin. She isn't acting sick, but her egg production was way down.

Does anyone know what is causing this mess? Please, please advise! Cause and treatment.

I'm not the best person to be answering, but I read somewhere that lice will leave white at the base of the feathers. That would
explain her scratching and creating sores. Plus the stress could be making her egg production slip... Just a thought. Hope you figure out your problem!!

I had mites from a nest of wild birds in the coop, and when I'd go in, they would just cover my hands. It was the creepiest crawly thing. I cleaned and powdered everything, and every one, really well with permetherin, and that completely cleared the problem up.

Permethrin would also take care of the feather lice.

By the way, you can find them most easily on the feathers on the back of the neck. That's where I always find feather lice first.

As for the dirty vent, I more often see that with blood sucking lice. But treating with the permethrin (poultry dust) will treat both. Also treat the bedding and the nestboxes. Then redust the birds 10 days later.

Quote:
I haven't seen any critters on the girls yet. I saw something that looked like mites in the coop a while ago, but I think I got rid of that. I have permethrin spray and a flea/tick powder. I will keep re-applying. I guess they will have broken feathers until after they molt, right?

I would 'dip' her in a solution that kills mites and lice. Dip all of your chickens and clean the coop very well, air it out and spread Sevin dust. Remove wooden nest boxes and clean and dust with Sevin. If mites and lice are bad enough they can kill your chickens. You've already described signs of weakness.

Quote:
Yes - unless a feather was pulled out follicle and all, it'll stay until they molt it. And I'm not a big believer in forced molts at all. I think birds have enough to contend with on a daily basis without us asking them to have a lowered immune system for my sake.
tongue.png

Just check her again if you're concerned, really. You can treat, and next week a wild bird can bring them in - or they hatch in the wild bird's nest and you won't know it.

simply clean the chicken house and do this
1 qt of oil ( new car oil can be used- do not use used car oil)
1 qt of kerosene
mix and use a paint brush and paint all the roost poles
paint any cracks in lumber or knot holes

as this is where the lice and mites live

then put DE liberally on the clean floor
or several sacksa of 5% sevin on clean floor
now put on bedding

also make a dust box

3 lbs of soil or sand
2 cups od DE or saevin 5%

keep this restockd weekly

and do as threehorses says for their bodies

the painting of the roost poles and cracks will help the birds kill what lice is on them also

also get the birds on good wet mash probiotics for two weeks daily to restock their gut flora

any questions email me

Thank you Thank you Thank you. I will paint the wooden posts. I'll try to dip them this week and will dust like crazy now that the rain seems to have gone away.

I wish I knew exactly what critter I am dealing with though. I don't see those crazy lice egg clusters like I've seen on other people's posts.

I'm going to cross my fingers when they do their real molt that they get nice feathers in. They look a bit mangey now. Sigh.

Quote:
Oh yeah! Waiting for those feathers is the longest wait ever. /wink It'll happen though.
smile.png

Oh, and can you send just a little of that rain our way, please/
smile.png

I feel like I'm fighting some sort of phantom boogie man here. I can't see them, but I know they are here. Don't know when it will be obvious that they are gone though. I guess I'll keep watching for the head scratching.

I'll definitely send our rain to TX! My friend has mushrooms growing on her welcome mat here in Brooklyn, NY.

Back
Top Bottom