Dreaming of Spring Gardening in the Middle of a Wisconsin winter part 2

for a long time I have wanted to make a cutting board like that.
sorry about the size of the photo. I have no control over the pictures. \
My computer did some crazy things and I had to have one of my daughters come straighten things out. She did what she could. the only way to send a picture is to download it first. something I don't know how to do..
My GS is away at school for a few weeks. when he comes back, whenever, I will let him fix things better.
I have a boatload of oak. Oak is not the best for cutting boards if it gets wet, ie cutting meat on it , too porous. I am looking for some maple.
I might make an oak board for myself and give this maple one to one of my daughters.
I will use mine just for pastry and bread..
Barb, do you have any idea of how many cats can own you ?
DD Barb is hardening tomato plants already.

I have accepted the reality that Ozzie is, indeed, my cat. It appears the pregnant tortie, Calypso, is beginning to think she's mine, too. Yesterday, despite her reluctance, she ate out of my hand; I have not attempted to pet her. The smaller male, Soleil, is determined NOT to be my cat. He spends time under my deck, peering through the lattice to see where I and the dogs might be so he can avoid direct contact with us.

At this point, Jim, I have three house cats, and suspect that eventually, I will have three adult outdoor cats that believe they are mine. Then, there will be the kittens that Calypso is carrying. So, it's an open-ended question of how many cats can own me.

I planted radishes yesterday. It was 84 degrees and sunny, but the forecast says it will drop into the low 30s this week, so I decided against planting any lettuces. Still moving my new perennials into the garage at night; I have to decide exactly where to plant them.

Close inspection showed signs of life from two of my four raspberry bushes and one of the two blueberries. The aronias are leafing out, as are two of my four young apple trees. I'm pretty sure the Honeycrisp is a goner and suspect the Macintosh isn't going to make it, either.

Peonies are springing back to life, and I spotted one tiny vinca bloom and a few wild violets. The rhubarb is thriving, and the older asparagus is starting to peek out of the ground.

All that is more exciting than the prospect of getting the riding mower ready for the new season. I had to replace two tires last year, and I can see one of the older ones is low. I hope it just needs air.

Barb, you can sautee radishes. I guess y ou can boil them, also.
when we were kids , we made radish sandwiches.
I made mushroom, onion and cheese omelets for breakfast. Annie always said that i make them so good.
but I know that is just because she doesn't have to.
yesterday I replaced all of the light bulbs in my shop to LED 3000 lumens. nice and bright now.
then with Annie's good eyesight, we re installed the three tiny screws to hold the blsde guard on the miter saw.
thinking of putting a motion light on the garage.
the one on the house doesn't work anymore.
I dould do both, I guess.

I have accepted the reality that Ozzie is, indeed, my cat. It appears the pregnant tortie, Calypso, is beginning to think she's mine, too. Yesterday, despite her reluctance, she ate out of my hand; I have not attempted to pet her. The smaller male, Soleil, is determined NOT to be my cat. He spends time under my deck, peering through the lattice to see where I and the dogs might be so he can avoid direct contact with us.

At this point, Jim, I have three house cats, and suspect that eventually, I will have three adult outdoor cats that believe they are mine. Then, there will be the kittens that Calypso is carrying. So, it's an open-ended question of how many cats can own me.

I planted radishes yesterday. It was 84 degrees and sunny, but the forecast says it will drop into the low 30s this week, so I decided against planting any lettuces. Still moving my new perennials into the garage at night; I have to decide exactly where to plant them.

Close inspection showed signs of life from two of my four raspberry bushes and one of the two blueberries. The aronias are leafing out, as are two of my four young apple trees. I'm pretty sure the Honeycrisp is a goner and suspect the Macintosh isn't going to make it, either.

Peonies are springing back to life, and I spotted one tiny vinca bloom and a few wild violets. The rhubarb is thriving, and the older asparagus is starting to peek out of the ground.

All that is more exciting than the prospect of getting the riding mower ready for the new season. I had to replace two tires last year, and I can see one of the older ones is low. I hope it just needs air.

computer is messed up again.
We cleaned a bunch in the shop. I actually worked up a sweat. 74F .
We got the whole floor swept. not a small victory . We quit on a high note. easier to go back at it later, that way.
I want to add two quad recepticals . sounds like a lot, but I use just one at a time..

I had to cover my garden boxes because one of my cats apparently thinks they are nice places to relieve themselves. Threw some old fencing on top. Hopefully that's enough to deter them. I'd prefer my lettuce without special seasoning.

We also filled my small concrete pond and got it running. Will hopefully move fish out in the next few weeks.

Looks like everything is growing. Looks so much better with green grass, and trees budding out.

I had windows open yesterday but closed them before I went to bed. I agree that it's a bit too soon to sleep with all that natural, chilly air coming in. I was happy just not to need to turn on the small floor heater before climbing into bed.

Sounds like serious progress to me, Jim. I usually end up accomplishing far less than I planned but enough to make a noticeable difference.

Lisa, I totally understand your "special seasoning" situation. Ozzie and I need to come to an agreement about the real purpose of my veggie and flower gardens.

The concrete pond sounds cool. Previous owners left a modern green bath tub out by the barn, and I've always considered fashioning it into some kind of water feature. Do you keep your fish indoors over the winter or start with new ones each year?

Pregnant Calypso decided yesterday that eating out of my hand wasn't enough. She came up, rubbed against me, climbed into my lap and purred. Soleil still keeps his distance, although he's getting closer.

Got an invitation to my high school reunion. Has it really been that many years? And, do I really want to go spend time with people I haven't seen or communicated with in DECADES?

I had windows open yesterday but closed them before I went to bed. I agree that it's a bit too soon to sleep with all that natural, chilly air coming in. I was happy just not to need to turn on the small floor heater before climbing into bed.

Sounds like serious progress to me, Jim. I usually end up accomplishing far less than I planned but enough to make a noticeable difference.

Lisa, I totally understand your "special seasoning" situation. Ozzie and I need to come to an agreement about the real purpose of my veggie and flower gardens.

The concrete pond sounds cool. Previous owners left a modern green bath tub out by the barn, and I've always considered fashioning it into some kind of water feature. Do you keep your fish indoors over the winter or start with new ones each year?

Pregnant Calypso decided yesterday that eating out of my hand wasn't enough. She came up, rubbed against me, climbed into my lap and purred. Soleil still keeps his distance, although he's getting closer.
i went to every high school reunion up until last year when they announced that it was our last one.
60 years.
really cool when the cat breaks the ice and makes friends. you know she is just trying to get into the hoouse to have her kittens..
my brother used to keep his fish indoors over winter.
then one summer a critter caught all of his fish and ate them.

Got an invitation to my high school reunion. Has it really been that many years? And, do I really want to go spend time with people I haven't seen or communicated with in DECADES?

Back
Top Bottom