Dreaming of Spring Gardening in the Middle of a Wisconsin winter part 2

another one of those nights where I can't fall asleep
and I didn't nap during the day.
I lit a fire in the wood burner in the shop to get rid of the humidity . It worked fine, and took the chill out of the air .
I took pictures of the wiring project. only I can't send them. something wonky with the computer.
it is 50F at 2 AM. it rained early in the evening.

Two things: Miss Calypso was MIA for most of yesterday and came in this morning much slimmer. I think there are kittens in the little hay shed, but I don't want to disturb them and have her move them somewhere else.

Also, Ozzie IS my cat. He injured a paw yesterday and was bleeding. I was worried about infection and took him to the vet. Ozzie is being neutered today, and I have to figure out what to do with him when I retrieve him. He at least should stay indoors until I'm sure he's recovered from surgery. But I don't think my old house cats or crazy dogs will make it easy for any of us. And, to no one's great surprise, he didn't have a microchip. I bet the other two who were dumped with him don't have chips either.

daylight in the swamp.
I slept until 5:eek:o . then Annie started spooking around and I am awake. she ? went back to sleep..
I mentally finished the wiring. now, I have to actually do it..
Bro Dave is coming out to hunt the elusive Tom turkey today .. we can see his tent from our kitchen window.

Hope he gets a turkey Jim. My husband isn't having any luck.
No luck today, He saw only 2 hens/
He had to go looking for his tent first. the tie down rope came loose.
a mile south of us , we have been watching a flock of about 100 . they were right next to the road one day and there were lots of Toms in the bunch..

Ozzie spent the first night after his surgery in a carrier in the bathroom, and he's still in the bathroom. I need to have a longer-term plan, I know, as he prefers I not turn on the shower.

I got my Honeycrisp apple tree planted yesterday as well as eight yellow alyssums, potted up a beautiful lavender and cleaned up dog poop in the yard. Today's thrilling adventures should include getting potatoes in the ground and seeing if the riding mower wants to do some work after resting in the garage over the winter.

Maybe it's a bad year for hunting turkeys? My brother-in-law was out for four days last week before he got one. I haven't seen that many out in the fields so far this year but, based on what I have seen, pheasant hunters shouldn't have to look long at all.

as of 2PM today, Ollie is back home..
just in time for the monsoon season.
Annie won't park her car in the garage because the swallows have some nests in there. they mess up her windshield. so I have Ollie in there. he has no windshield. lol
the wind is blowing and it is just starting to rain. not looking forward to the next few days.

Been a long week here with husband on vacation. We filled my waterwalls today and I decided to just plant my puny tomatoes out in them as well. See how it goes. My lettuce and radishes are coming up.

We changed the livestock fencing yesterday. We made one area. So far the mingling is lack luster. The remaining donkey is not impressed with goats in his pasture. Was hoping they would provide more company than just the chickens. He has one that rides his back daily. One year a chicken laid an egg in his back.

IMG_2102.JPG

Welcome home Ollie. I don't mind the rain Jim. I have stuff to get done inside. We always seem to accommodate the swallow here too.

I always liked donkeys.
are they also called burro .
are babies called burito ??
Annie helped me wire the second quad box.
my eyes are so bad I can't do the super fine work like pokig a wire into a little hole..
she did the job in five minutes where it would take me hours..
the sun was in and out. it was 65F most of the day.. the wind was strong, but it didn't feel too cold..
Now that Ollie is back, I can arrange the teeth on the 2 row cultivator and use it like a chisel plow. then I rototil afterwards .
I want to plant corn this year.. It would cost a fortune to buy corn for canning..
last time I planted corn, I took care of just two rows. that's enough for us. the remaining 3/4 of the patch I left for anyone else who wanted the corn.. No takers.. funny , when I gave corn away,, there were plenty of takers..
I used to plant lots of beans. anybody could come pick all they wanted.. One couple came and did a good picking. another woman came and picked enough for only a couple of meals.

Back
Top Bottom