High protein chicken layer pellets?

Susan Skylark

Chirping
Apr 9, 2024
I’ve been on a quest to find feed for my quail, I live in a rural area 90 miles from the nearest Walmart, we have plenty of feed stores and local coops and elevators around but most only sell chicken feed, though I can get gamebird/turkey feed if I order 2 tons for my 20 quail! I found purina gamebird starter and maintenance feeds in the next town over, 45 miles) but would have to get the layer feed shipped to my house from tractor supply (expensive!). I did find a high protein chicken layer feed at a local feed store chain designed for free range chickens with the option to supplement with scratch grains (I’d feed it straight and obviously quail don’t free range!) The calcium and protein levels are at appropriate levels for laying quail. It is a chicken sized pellet but I can crush them smaller if necessary, is there anything else I should be considering here? Thanks!

I don’t remember at the moment but was okay when I checked it out a week ago. Any thoughts on feeding amprolium to quail? The literature seems conflicted and opinions range from harmless to deadly. I don’t plan on feeding it but the only turkey starter I can get in town (and for half the price!) is medicated.

I don’t remember at the moment but was okay when I checked it out a week ago. Any thoughts on feeding amprolium to quail? The literature seems conflicted and opinions range from harmless to deadly. I don’t plan on feeding it but the only turkey starter I can get in town (and for half the price!) is medicated.
I wouldn't risk it.

Back
Top Bottom