how big should a chicken house be for 300 chickens?

Huge
hide.gif
hehehehe sorry couldn't help myself! lol

They say 4 sq ft per bird inside the coop, so 1200 sq ft.

Ah, just saw you live in FL. I think that 4 sq ft inside is for locations where birds may be locked into their coop/house for periods of time, such as bad winters, etc. And that may be the case where you are if you get the hurricanes coming through or bad storms regularly. If not, I think you could go down to maybe 3 sq ft per bird, as long as they had plenty of outside space with a large shaded area that was sheltered for wind. I've heard 10 sq ft per bird is the minimum you should have in the run area, so you would need 3000 sq ft for the run area.

Last edited:
okay i will be sure to tell my mom and yeah the house and yard is going to be HUGE

if i have this right 300 eggs a day X 7 is 2100 eggs every week

2100 eggs / by 12 is 175 dozen eggs a week

good lord....where in hell are we going to put that many eggs lol

Last edited:
256 square feet. You are going to really need to think this one out. Your coop is going to need to be like 35x35. or go the rectangle route.

With this many birds you'd have to think through many issues such as provision of feed and water, unless you want to make it your day's work just feeding and watering them. Also have adequate storage for feed and other necessities. And predator proofing an enormous run. Wow, my head hurts thinking about it. And here I was, thinking 10 was a lot.
tongue.png

I would start smaller and work up. That's a whole lot of birds and will need a lot of feed and room. You need to make sure you are zoned for that size of operation. Is she wanting to sell eggs? Meat?
sharon

Back
Top Bottom