I just know its a roo (EE) but im still hoping not... help!

humboldtpeeps

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 6, 2011
Please help! do i have a roo?
Here are some pics of Mothra, my four week old EE. We may rename her/him Buckbeak after a creature in the harry potter movies.
Anyway, He is gigantic, fast and leaps and jumps on everyone else. His feet are the hugest things ever. S(he) is way bigger than our buff orpington and is feathering out differently... now s(he) is getting a red comb...which none of the others have...I fear that s(he) is a little roo. Help!

note the stature:
81828_photo-36.jpg

The lack of feathers on the back:
81828_photo-33.jpg

and ahh... the comb!
81828_photo-35.jpg

81828_photo-37.jpg

How old are your chicks... the comb looks kinda bright but I don't think its that far behind in feathering compared to the other bird in the forst pic I think the color may be deceiving. Those legs look awfully thin compared to my EE roo, I would hold out hope for a pullet still.

2 things: comb already showing a lot of color, feathers on wing bow area appear to be coming out in a rooster color pattern- saddle/wing bow area often are very different color/pattern from rest of body on roos from very mixed color crosses. In other words he may end up as a rooster with white saddle/wing bow, mostly black and white speckled/striped on rest of body.

I am going with cockerel on this one. I think next week you are going to see that pink comb get pretty wide.

He's gonna look pretty similar to this guy
39823_cimg7372.jpg

Back
Top Bottom