LGBTQ+ Poultry Keepers

@allosaurusrock , what do you think about this boy? I think he looks pretty good, but I'm heavily biased. The EU standards are probably not the same as the Canadian, but it's still the same breed. IMO he could have some more chest, and a little bit of work on the comb. He does pose a little better, but it's very rareView attachment 3820647
I only know the standard for the Serama Council of North America, not sure if that covers Canada or not lol. But I will give him a shot.

How old is he? If he’s still a cockerel he has potential. Not a bad bird. Obviously I can only judge from this one photo and a video would give a more accurate reading.

I like his tail. Not sure how thin it is from the back but from the side it’s a nice tail. I agree with you that his chest needs to be bigger. His wings also need to be more vertical. The rest of his body is rather upright, but the small chest and not super vertical wings make his posture look poorer than it actually is.

If he were my breeding, I’d focus on defining and pulling up and back the shoulders, chest, and neck area. You want his head to be almost touching the sickles of his tail, which I am not seeing here. I don’t actually think his back is too crazy long. I think if you corrected the lack of shoulder/wing/chest/neck you’d have very solid birds.

But overall not a bad little bird!

I only know the standard for the Serama Council of North America, not sure if that covers Canada or not lol. But I will give him a shot.

How old is he? If he’s still a cockerel he has potential. Not a bad bird. Obviously I can only judge from this one photo and a video would give a more accurate reading.

I like his tail. Not sure how thin it is from the back but from the side it’s a nice tail. I agree with you that his chest needs to be bigger. His wings also need to be more vertical. The rest of his body is rather upright, but the small chest and not super vertical wings make his posture look poorer than it actually is.

If he were my breeding, I’d focus on defining and pulling up and back the shoulders, chest, and neck area. You want his head to be almost touching the sickles of his tail, which I am not seeing here. I don’t actually think his back is too crazy long. I think if you corrected the lack of shoulder/wing/chest/neck you’d have very solid birds.

But overall not a bad little bird!

Oh, sorry for the confusion on the standards!

Thank you for your analysis! After posting I realised I forgot to mention his wings. I don't know his exact age, but when that photo was taken he would've been around 9-9 and a half months. His tail is one of my favourite parts about him. It's as good as it looks from the side, and wide. I've got a pullet (almost hen) that has what I think is a large chest. She has problems of her own (a few more than he has, possibly), but she's a very nice little hen that I think compliments him a lot. I have two others, but they are not of the same conformational "quality".

When this boy truly poses, most of the posture issues dissappear, but it's honestly so rare that I'd like to work on it genetically. Hopefully I have a keeper out of his first 4 (pure serama) chicks, but there will definitely be more serama chicks to come

Here is a photo of the pullet I was talking about. I like her chest, although she has other things that need work
Screenshot_20231229_115153_Gallery.jpg

Thank you for your analysis! After posting I realised I forgot to mention his wings. I don't know his exact age, but when that photo was taken he would've been around 9-9 and a half months. His tail is one of my favourite parts about him. It's as good as it looks from the side, and wide. I've got a pullet (almost hen) that has what I think is a large chest. She has problems of her own (a few more than he has, possibly), but she's a very nice little hen that I think compliments him a lot. I have two others, but they are not of the same conformational "quality".

When this boy truly poses, most of the posture issues dissappear, but it's honestly so rare that I'd like to work on it genetically. Hopefully I have a keeper out of his first 4 (pure serama) chicks, but there will definitely be more serama chicks to come

Here is a photo of the pullet I was talking about. I like her chest, although she has other things that need workView attachment 3820845
I would want to see her on a better surface but I like her.

I would want to see her on a better surface but I like her.

She's picky. She's a poser, unlike the rest of the group (with the exception of the male, here and there), but she gets really shy when the phone is out. She will not sit anywhere but there for her photos. Probably on me, since that was where I taught them to stand when they were young

Glad to hear that you like her. Hopefully she's passed on her genes to some, if not all (very unlikely) of the chicks

@allosaurusrock , what do you think about this boy? I think he looks pretty good, but I'm heavily biased. The EU standards are probably not the same as the Canadian, but it's still the same breed. IMO he could have some more chest, and a little bit of work on the comb. He does pose a little better, but it's very rareView attachment 3820647

Here is a photo of the pullet I was talking about. I like her chest, although she has other things that need workView attachment 3820845
I'm biased in general to ALL birds, :p however both these birds are gorgeous if you ask me! :love Although no ones asking so.... 🤣

Back
Top Bottom