Los Angeles County - Lancaster City (Codes included in text)

Armageddon

Songster
9 Years
Feb 3, 2010
Southern California
I live in Lancaster, CA. It is in Los Angeles County.

I have a neighbor who is extreeemly difficult with everyone on the street. I do not yet have chickens in my yard, yet. (They are in a box in the house.)

But I cant actually figure out what is and isnt legal...I think im legal???

Here are the codes i'm reading - inputs are appreciated!!

Okay, here is what I found for the city of Lancaster:

They have adopted the county codes (below) They amendment they mention only apply to dogs6.04.010 - Adoption of Los Angeles County Animal Control Ordinance.

A.
Subject to the amendments contained in this Chapter, Title 10 of the Los Angeles County Code ("Animals"), in affect as of January 1, 2009 and any subsequent amendments thereto, are hereby adopted and incorporated herein by reference, and may be cited as the "County Animal Control Ordinance." A copy of said Title 10 is on file in the office of the city clerk and shall be at all times maintained by the city clerk for use and examination of the public.
B.
In the event there are any inconsistencies between the county animal control ordinance and this chapter pertaining to animal control, the latter shall prevail.
C.
In the event there are any inconsistencies between the county animal control ordinance and the city's zoning ordinance relating to the keeping of animals, the latter shall prevail.

And here is what I found for the county of Los Angeles

Los Angeles County Codes:
10.40.020 Young rabbits or fowl--Certain acts prohibited.

A. A person shall not:
1. Sell, offer for sale, barter, or give away, as pets, toys, premiums or novelties any baby chickens, ducklings or other fowl under three months of age, or rabbits under two months of age; or
2. Color, dye, stain or otherwise change the natural color of the above-described fowl or rabbits; or
3. Bring or transport the above-described fowl or rabbits into the county of Los Angeles.
B. This section does not prohibit any act prohibited by, or permitted by, Section 599 of the Penal Code or any other statute. (Ord. 9454 § 1 (part), 1967: Ord. 4729 Art. 9 § 902, 1946.)

These section apply to fines and reimbursing ir your animals aare loose and need to be caught by city officials...
This section does not prohibit any act prohibited by, or permitted by, Section 599 of the Penal Code or any other statute. (Ord. 9454 § 1 (part), 1967: Ord. 4729 Art. 9 § 902, 1946.)

Youes in chicking...legal or NOT!!
big_smile.png

This sounds to me like they don't want Easter chicks being abused, rather than an outright ban. You really need to check with your AC to see what they say. I did a quick search and couldn't find much. I did see a hatchery in Lancaster, they might be a resource.

Good luck

Imp

Thanks onecent...I put a post on the wall, that you asked for...hope it helps..

I called animal control they said NO but no one and I talked to 2 people could tell me the code that says I can't???

Not sure what to do??? LA county code says OK

Fox: I researched the zoning and am confused by what it says.

My zone is R Lot size is just under 15,000.

Although the houses across the street are in RR

I did find this, I guess it could apply to any animal.

The following wild animals, but in no event more than 3 such animals in any combination, may be kept on a lot or parcel of land having an area of less than 15,000 square feet per dwelling unit:
c.
Other similar animals which, in the opinion of the director, are neither more obnoxious or detrimental to the public welfare than the animals enumerated in this section. Such animals shall be kept or maintained at a place where the keeping of domestic animals is permitted.​

The table tells you the valid uses you may make of your land when it comes to noncommercial raising of animals.

If it isn't in the table you have a problem. The table allows them to be raised in RR and I zones only the table is referenced as being the controlling factor ( The number of animals kept on site shall not exceed the maximum number and combination as set forth in Table 17.08.310A. )

It is all connected to the zone you are in.

So if the AC folks knew what zone you were in then they likely gave you the correct answer.

Last edited:
Hello,

We are in Whittier, and our ordinances state that no hens/roosters are allowed. However - there is a conditional use permit available through the city that allows residents to keep hens. I would check into that, perhaps Lancaster has something similar.

Its quite a difficult process, unfortunately, and takes at least 2 months for approval as a permits, notification, site plans, description of reason for keeping chickens, plus a public hearing is required. I am going to start the process soon, and I too have a terrible neighbor, so best of luck to us - and best of luck to you!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom