Los Angeles County - Lancaster City (Codes included in text)

Best of luck to you!!

Quote:
I'm in Whittier as well, and on the search for fellow Whittier chicken lovers! I'm interested in working together to get the ordinance changed. AS you know, the permit is PRICEY!! I pm'd you; I hope you don't mind
smile.png
I'd love to work together!

We are also in Whittier, and just found out about the ridiculously expensive permit and lengthy process! We were hoping to keep 6 chickens in a friend's backyard, but there's no way we're gonna pay for that permit!! We're in to help change the ordinance! In fact, we'd like to start aWhittier urban farming/gardening group to make all aspects of urban farming/gardening and homesteading easier!

Stephanie Knol

Hi guys, I'm also in Whittier and the price of that permit is ridiculous! I only want about 2 hens as well. Have you made any progress? I am interested in helping out. :)

Hey guys look what I just got sent to me from the Senior Planner of LA County (which Whittier is a part of)! WE ARE LEGAL!!!

Chickens
Reference: Sections 22.20.080, 22.24.080, 22.24.60, and 22.52.300
Q: How many chickens may be kept for personal use in the R-1 and A-1 zones and in
the A-2 zone on a lot of less than one acre?
A: The problem of chickens and how to properly counsel the public on their regulation has
surfaced again. This is a recurring incidence that should be settled.
Several years ago an ordinance was prepared to regulate chickens; this went to hearing before
the Regional Planning Commission. After several hearings the commission rejected the
ordinance as being unnecessary. It is the legislative intent not to regulate chickens as
proposed in the ordinance.
Therefore, when public questions arise with respect to the keeping of chickens in residential
areas, there are several rules to follow:
Title 22
DRP Subdivisions and Zoning Interpretations and Procedures Manual Page 15
1. There is no set number of chickens that a person is permitted or prohibited from
keeping.
2. All chickens maintained on a piece of property must be for the personal use of the
occupants of that property.
3. There should be no commercial activity with respect to the chickens.
4. The raising and breeding of fighting cocks is regulated by Sheriff's Vice.
5. Other problems related to chickens can be regulated either by the Health Department,
the Department of Animal Control, or through a public nuisance.
In essence, simply advise that chickens are permitted to be maintained solely for the personal
use of the occupants. The keeping of chickens should not be promoted, nor should illegalities
be inferred when keeping chickens. There is no authority to enforce other than what is advised
above.
[9/8/1993 – Rudy Lackner, Land Use Regulation]

Does this apply to anybody in LA County? I am in Long Beach (LA County) and I am told to get rid of 4 of my 5 hens by tomorrow per an animal control sergeant. Per the municipal code I am only allowed to have one chicken with a 20 foot set back from dwellings. One chicken!!! I am hoping that this thing over rides my local code. I don't want to lose my girls! FYI, this all started after I asked the neighbor behind me to not allow her teenage boys and their friends to jump off of my garage roof into their pool. She called animal control on me days later. These stupid laws!

In most cases county ordinances apply only to areas outside of incorporated cities or towns. But a lot depends on how it is written, and the powers the state has conferred upom each of these government levels.

County versus city ordinances: My understanding is that county rules only apply to the unincorporated areas of Whittier, and the rest of the City of Whittier is subject to the $1,200 chicken permit fee.

Folks in the Whittier Time Bank are interested in changing this ordinance. If anyone is interested in meeting up to talk about a grassroots ordinance campaign, come to one of our events. Upcoming events are posted on our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/whittiertimebank

In the city of Long Beach, the city ordinance applies rather than the L.A. County rule. There's an active group of people trying to get the Long Beach ordinances changed. You might check with Long Beach Grows at www.longbeachgrows.org. Also, I believe the Long Beach Office of Sustainability recently adopted a resolution in favor of supporting urban agriculture, so you might contact them for information: http://www.longbeach.gov/citymanager/sustainability/default.asp. I think there's growing interest and support for this in Long Beach, it just hasn't reached critical mass yet.

Back
Top Bottom