My duck is biting me. Help!

northernkhakis

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 5, 2015
So back in the spring I made a spur of the moment decision to get two khaki Campbell ducks from tractor supply. I know, not a smart decision. My family had raised chickens previously so I knew some basics. I got the ducks and have absolutely babied them everyday since so that they would be friendly. They had been friendly for all up until a few months ago when the female (Rihanna) started laying and the male (Jojo) started getting feisty. I haven't done anything to them to make them hate me. I was giving them snacks and I'm the one who feeds and waters them everyday so I thought that this was completely uncalled for. He started by just nibbling on the ground in front of my feet then started pecking at my toes. Eventually cold weather came and I started wearing boots so he still bites but now he bites the tops of my boots and where my toes should be. Also if they are out of the pen and he sees me he will run up to me and immediately try to peck at my feet and "attack" me. If I walk back to the semi fenced coop area once he sees me he starts quacking and running up to the edge of the fence and actually tries to go through the fence. If I put my hands in the fence he bites me hard enough to leave marks. And when I finally leave the area he once again tries to jump through the fence. I'm worried at this point for his safety not only because he could hurt himself with the fence but also when he gets at my feet I don't want to step on him. the female doesn't try to attack me but she is more frightened than she had been before of me. I've read things about "asserting dominance" and thats not really what I want to do. I mainly am looking for advice on how to gain their trust again and why this even happened to begin with. I apologize for grammatical errors and thank you for any useful suggestions.

No apologies necessary.

Ducks can see us as just big strange-looking ducks, I think. And so when they mature sexually, they react to us as if we were other ducks. They may think we are drakes (we are very difficult to identify - we don't have the hood or curly tail feather or voice), or they may think we are ducks (females).

If he thinks you are a drake, he may be trying to protect his female. If he thinks you are a duck, he may be trying to mate with you.

You may need to pick him up and carefully hold him so that he cannot bite you, but so that he knows you are not going to put up with his nonsense. Not hurting him, just holding him. It can take quite a while (days or weeks), but from what I have read here, it works.

Hi guys..
I have the same problem. It started out with my drake, now my duck is biting as well- to the point they are drawing blood!! The weird thing is they trade days! One day Waffles; my drake, will come after me and the next it is Hope; my female. Never at the same time. And they never fo after my man- just me!! If I am wearing jeans, he aggressively attacks and pulls at them, she goes for the shoes..
Im pretty heartbroken as these are my babies. I have tried pinching the back of thier neck and "scruffing" them and also picking them up but they go right back to it. Now what???
When I first got on here, I found a thread about dominating them (which is what I thought I was doing) but I can't find it now. Can anyone help me with this? (I.e. how to dominate)
Thanks in advance.

I had the same problem with my Pekin drake Jabby and got lots of good advice on BYC! For about 2 weeks, 3-5 times per day, I would squat over him while holding his bill and kiss him and tell him I was top of the pecking order ;) I would do this until he stopped wiggling and gave in to me. He’s still not as sweet as my little lady Gabby, but he’s much better. We’ve come to an understanding lol.

ever thought maybe you shouldn't have so much interaction with your dinosaurs I mean ducks? Maybe you guys are just around them too much and they need some space. Some days I let my ducks just do duck stuff and i only say hi once and they seem like they miss me, and follow me around the yard.

Like any animal its important for them not to get "cooped up" just like how humans start arguing bickering and fighting when they're around someone in small confined space for long period of time. Exercise mentally and physically is very important.

You know that saying don't bite the hand that feeds you. That's a saying for humans does not apply for animals, unfortunately. If it was that easy everybody would just go feed a lion or a tiger and have a new BFF! I know I would!

Gl gl

I had the same problem with my Pekin drake Jabby and got lots of good advice on BYC! For about 2 weeks, 3-5 times per day, I would squat over him while holding his bill and kiss him and tell him I was top of the pecking order ;) I would do this until he stopped wiggling and gave in to me. He’s still not as sweet as my little lady Gabby, but he’s much better. We’ve come to an understanding lol.
:lau I’m glad that’s worked for you. Super funny!

Back
Top Bottom