Need help with injecting penicillin - I live in Orangevale, CA

AMC in the OV

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 18, 2011
Orangevale, CA
So I did my first penicillin injection yesterday. It sucked. That stuff is super thick and clogs the needle. Then my stupid needles are too long, one inch needles and I only need to go in 1/4 inch. My little chicken Nugget is small and somewhat thin, so I put a sticker on the needle so I would know when to stop and not shove it in too deep. Well, I ended up giving the penicillin Sub-Q instead of IM (under the skin instead of into the muscle.) Very frustrating. Three more days of this and I have no confidence in my ability to administer the injection. Any of you peeps in the Orangevale, CA area (suburb of Sacramento) want to come over and help me out?? Or I could bring her to you! I know this is chicken country, so some of you have got to live near me....hopefully. I need help, or maybe a vet recommendation.

Yesterday I also did some more foot surgery but was unable to find any pus. Her foot was still swollen, and I massaged it a lot before cutting. I cut in like 3 places and could not find anything other than blood, but some of it appeared thick.

See my other posts for some background information...
- Confused about antibiotics for Bumblefoot: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=586894
- Finally purchased my antibiotics for Bumblefoot this weekend: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=7699573#p7699573

Thanks
for reading!

Maybe you already know this but it is important to inject this medication in the muscle and make sure you draw back on the syringe and look for blood. If you see blood you need to inject in another site. Penicillin injection kill more chickens then any other antibiotic either too much is given or accidently given in the blood stream. I hope your chicken gets well soon!

Thanks for the responses. I posted in the other forum as suggested.

I did try to give the penicillin injection in her muscle, but I failed. I checked before pushing the plunger so I know I did not hit a vein. In fact, I know it went in just under the skin because I could see it there. I'm sure it absorbed, but I would have preferred to get it right the first time. Apparently I just suck at giving injections. Good thing I am NOT on steroids like the pharmacist at WalMart suspected.

Quote:
Dont feel bad, I'd have to get someone to give my birds an injection as well. I wouldnt have confidence in myself doing it. My luck I'd hit an artery or stab the heart. I've been lucky as not to have reason to have anyone give injections. I gotta give you credit for trying it though! Just not my cup of tea.

Yay!! My boyfriend gave her the injection just now and he did a GREAT job. Now we are 50% done - two days down and two to go!

Thanks to everyone who read and/or replied to my post. :0

Needle for injecting is 22 gauge. It did get clogged tonight when he was injecting her but we were able to unclog. Next time we will pull in a little bit more so that if we need to squirt some out to get unclogged we don't fall short of a full dosage.

Quote:
Be careful on overdosing. Its better that they get a little less than a full dose than an overdose.

22 gauge can work but it may be easier in the future to use 20 or even 18 (if you hate your chicken). I used an 18 gauge once and she had this massively reproachful look on her face afterward. They can definitely feel the difference. Also, I'd get 3/4" needles next time.

Either way, sounds like its going well overall.

Back
Top Bottom