Nesting Boxes sitting on North/South/East/West?

I would have mine in the shade, specially in the afternoon. Those exterior nesting boxes can get hot in the sun. Be sure and check to make sure they don't leak. With the tarp ending right above the nest box, rain might run down into the hinge.

I would also attach some hardware cloth around the bottom half of the run. Those holes & the gate gaps are large enough to let in mice, rats, snakes, weasels (if you have them) and raccoon hands. Don't forget your apron to deter diggers. You can lay it flat on the ground about 2' out, or dig down about 2' and bury it. I staked my apron with metal tent stakes.

Is there just the 1 vent at the top? If so, you may need some more ventilation added.

How big is your coop? The add says it will hold up to 15 chickens, but it looks a little small for that many. The run is a good size, which is good. It will give them plenty of room to run around and still be protected.

I’d vote N or East.

Agree with @henless that the nest box may need protection from water or a way to keep water from intruding into the nest boxes.

Looks like s nice pre-fab, but don’t think 15 full-size or large breed chickens would fit.

What breeds are you planning to get or have already? How many chickens?

I would have mine in the shade, specially in the afternoon. Those exterior nesting boxes can get hot in the sun. Be sure and check to make sure they don't leak. With the tarp ending right above the nest box, rain might run down into the hinge.

I would also attach some hardware cloth around the bottom half of the run. Those holes & the gate gaps are large enough to let in mice, rats, snakes, weasels (if you have them) and raccoon hands. Don't forget your apron to deter diggers. You can lay it flat on the ground about 2' out, or dig down about 2' and bury it. I staked my apron with metal tent stakes.

Is there just the 1 vent at the top? If so, you may need some more ventilation added.

How big is your coop? The add says it will hold up to 15 chickens, but it looks a little small for that many. The run is a good size, which is good. It will give them plenty of room to run around and still be protected.

Oh yes! The points you've made are spot on!

We are going to placing welded hard wire around the entire perimeter - I did notice the gaps you mentioned. We are probably going to be sinking the wire a bit deeper in that we have voles as well.

I also noticed the one ventilation and my hubby will be installing two others for cross ventilation.

I am hoping the fish-eye lens that was used to take the pictures is inaccurate; the pictures are not the best but I will know soon enough in that the system is coming in early next week. I do hope the coop is the appropriate size for the number of birds it says can occupy - the run looks appropriately sized.

The one thing I forgot about that you mentioned was some sort of flashing above the nesting boxes to move any water away - great point! That is going to be added to the list of improvements!

Thank you for taking the time to look over the coop/run design and for all of your input...I greatly appreciate it! :)

I’d vote N or East.

Agree with @henless that the nest box may need protection from water or a way to keep water from intruding into the nest boxes.

Looks like s nice pre-fab, but don’t think 15 full-size or large breed chickens would fit.

What breeds are you planning to get or have already? How many chickens?

Yes...you and henless are spot on!

I am concerned about the coop size because of all the specifications, its dimensions were not listed. I will know soon enough because it's scheduled to be delivered early next week.

I have ordered from My Pet Chicken 18 One-Day Old chicks figuring that I will have losses either immediately or within a few weeks while I have them in the brooder. If I am lucky that all should survive, then I probably will give a few away to my neighbours so that I don't overcrowd the girls.

I did not order Bantams; all the girls I ordered are large, fat-bottomed girls:)

I ordered: Blue/Black/Splash Ameraucana; Lavender Orpington; Barred Plymouth Rock; Buff Orpington; Silver Laced Wyandotte; and New Hampshire Red. I ordered 3 of each totally 18 altogether. I am anticipating there being a cockerel or two as even when ordering sexed females, it is not 100% guaranteed.

What about Roost location?

The roosts are located inside of the coop, parallel to the nesting boxes so would be aligned with the direction of placement. Suggested by BYC members, the best placement for the nesting boxes should face either East or North to keep the boxes comfortable for the girls. I will need to plant fairly large trees to provide shade in that our property was formerly a horse field and the previous owners left the land prairie but shade from the trees will be minimal for quite a while. We may need to extend the canopy over the boxes to add shade and to protect the girls from the heat we get here.

Yes...you and henless are spot on!

I am concerned about the coop size because of all the specifications, its dimensions were not listed. I will know soon enough because it's scheduled to be delivered early next week.

I have ordered from My Pet Chicken 18 One-Day Old chicks figuring that I will have losses either immediately or within a few weeks while I have them in the brooder. If I am lucky that all should survive, then I probably will give a few away to my neighbours so that I don't overcrowd the girls.

I did not order Bantams; all the girls I ordered are large, fat-bottomed girls:)

I ordered: Blue/Black/Splash Ameraucana; Lavender Orpington; Barred Plymouth Rock; Buff Orpington; Silver Laced Wyandotte; and New Hampshire Red. I ordered 3 of each totally 18 altogether. I am anticipating there being a cockerel or two as even when ordering sexed females, it is not 100% guaranteed.

Sounds good! The run looks roomy, and it may not be a problem. We started with 17, and all got along great, except one breed. We sold those 3 girls and sent 3 unwanted males to freezer camp. You will need to make sure there is enough roost space, but if your coop is secure and predator proof, you can leave the pop door open for 24/7 access to the run.

Back
Top Bottom