New Hen House build

G-Man

Songster
12 Years
Feb 10, 2012
Witter Springs, California
Hello Everyone,

After the countless hours of reading and research I knew we would need a very secure building and run to protect the hens from the abundance of local predators.
So, I’ve decided to repurpose a portion of a 16’X 12’ structure that was built to house our solar inverter, disconnects and a back up generator. Well, I never did buy the generator and I was able to move the inverter to accommodate my design easily enough.

The building has stucco exterior walls with continuous soffit vents and ridge vent, no windows and a concrete floor. I have to admit the concrete slab floor was the deciding factor for our decision to use this structure. We’ve just been using it for storing leftover building materials from the main house construction and landscaping tools.

I’ve already cut in and installed the windows, framed up the partition wall, ran all the electrical, insulation and installed the pop door.
I dug a 45’ trench to connect to an irrigation line so I can have water at the coop. phew, glad that’s over.
th.gif

I’ve spent most of my time in the evenings this week outside digging and setting the 4X4 posts for the run. I still have 3 more to set but I don’t feel like digging in the rain.

The inside living space for the hens will be 7’X12’ and the run will be 12’X24’.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for looking.

Last edited:
Just beautiful! Do you have pix/plans for the interior? How many chickens will be living in this awesome new home???

Hi, thank you for your kind words.
I don’t really have plans or designs…. more like chicken scratches on scrap papers.
big_smile.png

There are a few images of the inside on my profile page but not many (I just became a member today).
There is still a lot to do on the inside. I have the ceiling and vents installed along with the insulation and electrical but that’s all.
I will definitely post more progress pictures as I go.

Thanks again for looking

How much is rent on that apartment?
smile.png

What type of chickens and how many do you plan to get?

I am guessing since you are planning Fort Knox-type security that the run will be covered, right?

You said you dug a trench. So you will install a water pipe to the coop?

It is a very nice coop. Many people live in houses that aren't as nice as that.

Ha ha!
lol.png
Thank you for the great response.

The chicken side is 84sq ft so I’ve planned for about 15+.
I’m on a couple of waiting lists for BCM’s, Welsummer, BLRW’s & SLW’s. I’m thinking I would like a couple Ameraucana’s too.
I see hawks, golden eagles every day and owls on occasion. We definitely have our share of predators here.
Yes, I plan on adding an aviary netting, still undecided on which brand or manufacture to get though. Any recommendations would be welcome.

Yes, I dug the trench so I could have a hose bib outside, watering cups in the run and the hen side of the coop.
Plus I’ve stubbed in for a future sink on the human side of the house.

It’s been used as a storage shed of the past several years. I’m just happy to be able to get some better use out of it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom