New here and 1yr new to chickens

JenTh

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2024
Indiana
I'm a fairly new chicken mom. Got chickens last year in May 6 of them. Buff brahmas, a speckled sussex, and an easter egger. Then in Sept I got a few silkies and a little satin something. All is well with them. I love them and they are so sweet. My silkies are a bit off at times and seem skiddish but were working on it. Just yesterday March 21st I had a silkie mama hatch a chick. I'm am a mess. I don't know what to do. I'm so nervous for mama and baby. Stress mess! She's sitting on another egg as well and I'm not sure if it is a live egg or not. So we have that going on now too. Thanks for having me!

Hello and Welcome to BYC
Silkie moms know what to do. You should have a small bag of starter grower and put some out once she leaves the nest with chick or chicks where they can find it. No fancy feeder required if you have a small area of sandy or clean ground. Mama silkie will find it and call chicks to it.

Last edited:
🙋‍♀️Welcome to BYC!

You have come to the right place! There are tons of people on here ready to help with whatever they can! Just ask! And if you haven't checked already, The Learning Center has some great articles to help you along the way!

With the new mama, most of the time they know what to do, I have a grow out pen i usually put the mamas in with their babys until about week 2 or 3 then open it so she can take them out and she will protect them from the rest. The roosters and other chickens usually understand and help to protect, the only issue is usually another broody mama.

For the egg, get a flashlight... even the one on your phone should work, at night candle the egg and see if there is any growth or if it quit growing(not sure how long that eggs has been there)

🙋‍♀️Welcome to BYC!

You have come to the right place! There are tons of people on here ready to help with whatever they can! Just ask! And if you haven't checked already, The Learning Center has some great articles to help you along the way!

With the new mama, most of the time they know what to do, I have a grow out pen i usually put the mamas in with their babys until about week 2 or 3 then open it so she can take them out and she will protect them from the rest. The roosters and other chickens usually understand and help to protect, the only issue is usually another broody mama.

For the egg, get a flashlight... even the one on your phone should work, at night candle the egg and see if there is any growth or if it quit growing(not sure how long that eggs has been there)
Thank you! I will check the egg tonight and see what I see. It's been about 21/22 days for the egg she's still sitting on. I have realized that I need to invest in a grow out pen for future babies and other issues separation is needed. Not super sure what is needed for that.

FARMER-CONNIE-CROSS-ROAD-V1.gif

Hello and welcome to Backyard Chickens!

Back
Top Bottom