New Member Davis, CA

jgaepi

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 25, 2011
davis, ca
I live in Davis, CA with my wife and 2 toddler daughters. I want to start raising chicks to expose my family to more than just growing some tomatoes in the backyard. My wife is extremely apprehensive, mainly because she hates to get her hands dirty. But I think it will grow on her.

The online sites require purchases of 25 chicks, but I just want three. And would rather buy them local. I hoped this site could help me post a "wanted" ad but I have to have 10 posts first. How can I post 10 things without me being able to start raising chickens. But that is neither here nor there.

I look forward to the adventure. If any of you know how I can buy 3 chicks in the Sacramento area in the next 6 weeks, please let me know. I specifically want kid friendly birds and heard that Auracana, Rhode Island Red and Orpington are good. So spread that word that I am looking to buy.

Thanks.

Jon

frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
from FL
The best place to find chick locally is on Craigslist or your local feed store. You might be able to find someone local to you on here but is would be dangerous for the chicks to ship only three. Good luck.

Welcome from the SF Bay Area.
frow.gif
Check out the Bay Area BYCers! and California - Northern threads in the Where am I? Where are you! section. You should be able to find someone who can set you up with what you need.

HI! And Welcome to BYC from us over here in Auburn! (just about 30 miles from Sacramento)

Glad to hear you are looking to start your flock! I have some chicks right now, PM me if your interested. They arent pure bred, but will be very nice, very pretty layers. I will have some Jersey Giant chicks in the coming months, so anytime your ready, just drop me a line!

I'm in Sacramento and will have chicks in about 2 weeks. I have 2 full incubators (one with 16 eggs, one with 18 eggs) and a broody hen with 11 under her. Your wife will get over the fear of getting her hands dirty... I was the same way, but I love it now and couldn't live without the dirt, sawdust, hay, and chicken poo.

welcome-byc.gif
Try Craiglist in your area. It's the best choice if you want to start with fully grown chickens, and tractor supply or food store if you want to start with chicks. Also I would recommend you to read first more about chicken parasites/disease (if you buy from Craiglist), or predators and how to raise chicks if you buy from local feed store or Tractor supply. And don't worry about your wife, she will warm up to this, ones she holds them in her hands, and she watches grow this little beautiful and smart creatures:love. And tell her that she doesn’t have to worry about dirt with chickens or any high maintenance if you give them enough run space, specially when you have a such small number.
old.gif

Oh, and I forgot to mention it's addictive
tongue2.gif
Good luck...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom