New Member Davis, CA

Should we tell him about chicken math??
gig.gif
lau.gif

welcome-byc.gif
frow.gif

Good to see more Californians

Look up Marans. Great with kids. Even my roos can be carried around by a 5 yr old like a puppy.

I have some newly hatched fuzzies here. Cuckoo Marans. Like huge Barred Rock and much nicer.

If you want to see chick pics let me know.

If you're interested pm me. I go out to Dixon every month if that helps.

Quote:
I think that would be a good idea.

Chicken math is when you say, "I'm going to get 3 hens. Only 3, for my family, just for the eggs." Then you fast forward 10 months, and you have 7 hens out back, 9 in the brooder, 18 eggs in one bator, 16 in another, and 11 more under a broody hen.

That's chicken math.

Welcome to my (our) world.
smile.png

Quote:

Chicken math is when you say, "I'm going to get 3 hens. Only 3, for my family, just for the eggs." Then you fast forward 10 months, and you have 7 hens out back, 9 in the brooder, 18 eggs in one bator, 16 in another, and 11 more under a broody hen.

That's chicken math.

smile.png

And trying to figure how to sneak more in without your spouse finding out.
big_smile.png

Quote:

That's chicken math.

smile.png

big_smile.png

lau.gif
yuckyuck.gif
haha...That's me
tongue2.gif

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
Hi Jon

I was one of those wives that was not interested in having chickens running around just nine months ago. My dh bought an incubator and a dozen eggs. None hatched. He bought 11 more eggs and nine hatched. Once we had babies I was hooked. Unfortunately first chicks are the learning curve. We lost one to a hawk and one to our own dog. Down to seven and six were roosters, yikes. We re-homed four and kept two with the only hen (the three muskateers).

Here comes the chicken math - too many roosters, not enough hens. So off we go and buy 10 more hens. Learning curve, new hens had worms (bad). Got hooked up with a local chicken farmer and learned about worming and vitamins. Still lost one. Long story short, we now have 10 hens. Black Copper Marans, very friendly and lay beautiful chocolate eggs.

I said all that to point out how addicting this chicken raising is. I can't believe it took us this long to have chickens and don't plan on being without. Ever.

Good luck,

Ask lots of questions, and enjoy.

Deb

Quote:

That's chicken math.

smile.png

big_smile.png

Nah, he's worse than me. He refers to our hens out back as his "harem".

I got my first 3 chics from an Agway. They new of someone else who didn't want the minimum amount of 6. The best part was that I was able to get 3 different breeds. The feed store is another place where they take orders of less than 6. Good luck and welcome to BYC!

Back
Top Bottom