Please help - hens eye has swollen up bad

Victoria Adam

In the Brooder
Aug 20, 2017
hi

One of our hens eyes had swollen up badly

She can’t see out of her eye
She has two ball like swelts one over the eye and one under

She has had antibiotics and it’s been getting cleaned , at the start we managed to get some puss out of her eye and nose - green like puss

Would a cyst be present ?

She is still pottering about with the rest.

We mentioned to the vet and they said they would just pop it

Has anyone done this before ?
I will try and get a picture and upload

Thanks

A229F7E4-5C44-42A6-B495-C0F9B3B999AE.jpeg

Attachments

• 2EFBDD18-66C9-4DF3-898E-223F9A178D8D.jpeg
    2EFBDD18-66C9-4DF3-898E-223F9A178D8D.jpeg
    702.4 KB · Views: 15
  • DBE99AA7-6375-4646-ADC5-781368B23390.jpeg
    DBE99AA7-6375-4646-ADC5-781368B23390.jpeg
    640.1 KB · Views: 17
Is her other eye perfectly fine?

I tried enlarge your picture but I can’t zoom in enough to see clearly. Is that a moinshaped scratch or cut just at the top of her eyelid?

I’d use a warm compress several times this morning to encourage drainage. A drop or two of vet rx might help on the compress too.

It could be an infection caused by an injury but it’s just as possible to be a poultry virus that falls under the category of respiratory diseases.

Here’s a great website that can help you research some poultry diseases.

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/SearchResults?query=Swollen+eye+in+poultry

You need to get as much of the pus out of her eye as possible. You should also look up inside at the roof of her mouth for pus in the choanal slit and press upward to get more of the pus out. This will take a few sessions over the next day or two.

She needs a good antibiotic that will treat both a possible MG or coryza infection, as well as a possible E.coli infection, since you don’t know what you are dealing with. Contact your vet for antibiotics. You can get some online, but those will take a few days to get.

Edited to say that the warm compress is a good idea.

To get pus out of the eye, you will need to squeeze some, and may oldpso need to probe some. Be careful not to injure her eye. Rinse the eye with saline, and afterward apply plain neosporin ointment which should be good for E.coli. Terramycin ointment is good for MG, but you can alternate or use the neo for now. Here are some very graphic stomach churning videos of how to get pus out:

@casportpony is good with recommending antibiotics. I would get them from your vet so they can be started right away. Enrofloxacin (Baytril) is a good one that is banned in chickens, but is good to treat infections. Doxycycline is good as well, but you need something that will treat a variety of bacteria. I will wait for Kathy to recommend which one she would use.

Back
Top Bottom