Strange question, for an odd situation with 2 peeps.

MysteryChicken

Preserving Gamefowl, 1 Variety At a Time🇮🇳🇺🇸
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
May 31, 2018
Tawas City, Michigan
Can chicks get colic? I have 2 chicks, one is worst then the other constantly crying. They do it while I'm with them too, so it's not an imprinting thing.

They cry all day long, don't eat, they do drink which is good. I put probiotics in their water earlier. I just fed them raw egg yolk as a form of food.
How long till this passes?

Age of these two chicks? Can you post a photo? What is their size in relation to the other normal behaving chicks? What does the poop of these two chicks look like? Firm like normal or scant and tiny turds, or runny, watery, mucous content, green bile chunks present?

Age of these two chicks? Can you post a photo? What is their size in relation to the other normal behaving chicks? What does the poop of these two chicks look like? Firm like normal or scant and tiny turds, or runny, watery, mucous content, green bile chunks present?
4 days old. Size isn't abnormally small, relatively the same as the other chicks.
Poops been little due to lack of food.
20240518_184828.jpg

At such a young age, these two may simply be slow learners. Constant chirping can indicate distress, usually hunger. Baby chicks in their first week are so much like new born human infants, the comparison in uncanny. They loudly make demands when they feel the tiniest discomfort, and it sounds like they are announcing the end of the world, theirs anyway.

I usually hard boil an egg and mince it into very, very fine particles. I spread a little of the egg at a time over the brooder floor so all the chicks can satisfy their instinct to hunt and scratch for food on the ground. Many chick mamas start them out with crumbles in a feeder, but eating from a feeder is not an inborn trait. It's learned. I also sprinkle the dry crumbles on the floor of the brooder to teach them it's food since traditionally, newly hatched chicks will look for food on the ground.

Try getting messy with the food all over the floor of their brooder. I bet these two will get with the program in record time.

At such a young age, these two may simply be slow learners. Constant chirping can indicate distress, usually hunger. Baby chicks in their first week are so much like new born human infants, the comparison in uncanny. They loudly make demands when they feel the tiniest discomfort, and it sounds like they are announcing the end of the world, theirs anyway.

I usually hard boil an egg and mince it into very, very fine particles. I spread a little of the egg at a time over the brooder floor so all the chicks can satisfy their instinct to hunt and scratch for food on the ground. Many chick mamas start them out with crumbles in a feeder, but eating from a feeder is not an inborn trait. It's learned. I also sprinkle the dry crumbles on the floor of the brooder to teach them it's food since traditionally, newly hatched chicks will look for food on the ground.

Try getting messy with the food all over the floor of their brooder. I bet these two will get with the program in record time.
These two are actually the only chicks I've ever had problems with, especially with food. Their hatch mates caught on quickly with the food situation.

Usually baby chicks take their cues from each other. Like humans, they are copy cats. I haven't had very many of these problem chicks either, and when I do, they are usually failure-to-thrive. So keep an eye on them for signs of lagging development. By the beginning of the second week, FTTs are usually falling noticeably behind in size. The first sign is feathering wings begin to extend beyond their rumps as the feathers grow faster than the chicks' bodies.

If you see they're lagging, jump right in with extra protein and Poultry Nutri-drench to catch them up before they drop too far behind.

My legbar cockerels barely ate or drank so I picked them up and dipped their beaks in water and placed them in front of the feeders so they'd eat. After they were done I put them a corner where the less active chicks took naps so the active chicks wouldn't notice how frail they were.Every time I saw them in a huddle in the middle of the brooder I put them back in the corner.They pulled out of it a week.

Back
Top Bottom