The AMERAUCANA thread

Pics
I have bantam wheaten, BW and self blue. I keep everyone one together in the winter but in a couple weeks I’ll be separating and setting up breeding pens. This year my focus will be my self blues.
I really love this breed they are so personable.
View attachment 2987249View attachment 2987250View attachment 2987251View attachment 2987252View attachment 2987253View attachment 2987254View attachment 2987255

They are beautiful! What do you use for breeder pens? I would like to make some seperate pens this spring/summer also.

Me too! I reserved 2! Either two splash or 1 splash 1 black! She allows time for grow outs to ensure you get a pullet for extra, so I’m paying it haha! I want girls that lay blue eggs darn it! 😆
That's a nice option! I am on a list for 18 hatching eggs...Yikes! I am going to grow them out a while and hope to sell the extras.

They are beautiful! What do you use for breeder pens? I would like to make some seperate pens this spring/summer also.
Since they are bantams it’s easier. I have a door that sections off an 8x8 area before the pop door to the run, since I only have 2 self blue hen and 3 Cock birds I will but the hens in there and rotate the boys. I also have 2 poop boards under my roost that we made the exact height of the extended dog pens one is 7x4 and one is 9x4 that I could use for pairs or trios, I also use these for out door brooders. If I want to set up more because they are bantam I have a couple XL dog crates. My plan is to only focus on one variety a season. My plan is to separate boy from girls end of February for a few weeks. Then I will only separate who I want to breed and let the rest of the groups continue to live in large flocks. By the end of May I’m usually done hatching and have enough chicks to grow out and select from.
Because my winter I like to keep just one large coop and covered run so I only have to shovel to one door and deal with one heated waterer. This is my coop based on the colors outside you can see the different sections.

3AABDE65-4AA0-4090-B904-36E279A18792.jpeg

I have bantam wheaten, BW and self blue. I keep everyone one together in the winter but in a couple weeks I’ll be separating and setting up breeding pens. This year my focus will be my self blues.
I really love this breed they are so personable.
View attachment 2987249View attachment 2987250View attachment 2987251View attachment 2987252View attachment 2987253View attachment 2987254View attachment 2987255
Oh I love your little tiny self-blues!! :love I really need some bantam Ams, they just are so adorable and would be so amazing in a tiny package! :D Wish you lived closer!

Since they are bantams it’s easier. I have a door that sections off an 8x8 area before the pop door to the run, since I only have 2 self blue hen and 3 Cock birds I will but the hens in there and rotate the boys. I also have 2 poop boards under my roost that we made the exact height of the extended dog pens one is 7x4 and one is 9x4 that I could use for pairs or trios, I also use these for out door brooders. If I want to set up more because they are bantam I have a couple XL dog crates. My plan is to only focus on one variety a season. My plan is to separate boy from girls end of February for a few weeks. Then I will only separate who I want to breed and let the rest of the groups continue to live in large flocks. By the end of May I’m usually done hatching and have enough chicks to grow out and select from.
Because my winter I like to keep just one large coop and covered run so I only have to shovel to one door and deal with one heated waterer. This is my coop based on the colors outside you can see the different sections.

View attachment 2987776

That looks amazing. I love your set up! Thank you for sharing. :)

Back
Top Bottom