The AMERAUCANA thread

Pics
I just wanted to show you. Your girl is very pretty. I think a lot of ppl get hung up on what their breed is and that is all a lot of ppl care about.
Yes you are correct she fine just like she is. In the world of dogs it's the same thing. AKC has alot of standards at the end of day its about how much you love your dog now chickens

She's a lovely EE, but unfortunately not an Ameraucana as she's not one of the 8 recognized color varieties. The recognized varieties are Blue, Black, Brown Red, Buff, Self Blue, Silver, Wheaten, and Blue Wheaten. She's still a beautiful girl though!

On the one hand, according to show people this is true. I think they are totally wrong headed though. The mentality totally stymies ingenuity and closes too many people out of breeding.
I have two project colors sourced from breeders, Isabelle and Mottled. No one is ever going to convince me they are not Ameraucana.
It would be like saying the occasional Bay is not a Friesian horse. They have to be Black to be registered. The Bays are simply unregistered Friesian. No one tries to call them some other name or come down on people selling a Bay Friesian.

Something in the chicken world went wonky at some point.

(None of this is directed at you)

Yes you are correct she fine just like she is. In the world of dogs it's the same thing. AKC has alot of standards at the end of day its about how much you love your dog now chickens
Agreed! I have a full blood Rottweiler but she isn’t registered with AKC and I have no desire to register her. But that is typically what a lot of ppl ask us. And I don’t even know why. She has no puppies and we aren’t selling her… it could be that there isn’t many of them around here.

Anyway, if you are interested in Ameraucana, I wouldn’t go through the same hatchery. They fancied them up. To me, false advertising. But no matter what, you got a beautiful bird that will lay eggs.

Says right on their website their "Ameraucanas" are a "mixed flock", meaning all their colors are combined, therefore are not any specific variety, making them Easter Eggers. Also says some lay a pink egg. Ameraucanas NEVER lay any color egg but blue. Not trying to be mean, just trying to educate :D
View attachment 3198387
Please don't hesitate to keep giving us information. That's how we learn. She does lay blue eggs why we thought she was a Ameraucana.

On the one hand, according to show people this is true. I think they are totally wrong headed though. The mentality totally stymies ingenuity and closes too many people out of breeding.
I have two project colors sourced from breeders, Isabelle and Mottled. No one is ever going to convince me they are not Ameraucana.
It would be like saying the occasional Bay is not a Friesian horse. They have to be Black to be registered. The Bays are simply unregistered Friesian. No one tries to call them some other name or come down on people selling a Bay Friesian.

I understand this is the same in the great dane world. Who sets this standard for chickens?

I would agree to this! I made the comment about having an Ameraucana on another thread, and they went off about how it wasn’t a true Ameraucana and I don’t even know. Something with the Araucana. I really don’t know what they were getting at but said that it wasn’t an Araucana because of the butt. I never even said Araucana and that they didn’t even sell them. (Where I got the chicks from). My girls follow everything for an Ameraucana that I claim are.

Agreed! I have a full blood Rottweiler but she isn’t registered with AKC and I have no desire to register her. But that is typically what a lot of ppl ask us. And I don’t even know why. She has no puppies and we aren’t selling her… it could be that there isn’t many of them around here.

Anyway, if you are interested in Ameraucana, I wouldn’t go through the same hatchery. They fancied them up. To me, false advertising. But no matter what, you got a beautiful bird that will lay eggs.
I agreed 👍it's crazy I have 2 Akc great danes and bull mastiff mix that I rescued. That akc mean nothing to us they are our 3 kids that it. And now 20 chicken 😍

Back
Top Bottom