The AMERAUCANA thread

Pics
I agreed 👍it's crazy I have 2 Akc great danes and bull mastiff mix that I rescued. That akc mean nothing to us they are our 3 kids that it. And now 20 chicken 😍
I have my Rottweiler and Husky with 1/4 lab. They are great dogs. I never worry about what others think either. I love them and that’s all that matters. I actually have 6 kids and 2 dogs and 18 chickens and I ordered 5 more chickens that hatch tomorrow….they will be here Wednesday.

On the one hand, according to show people this is true. I think they are totally wrong headed though. The mentality totally stymies ingenuity and closes too many people out of breeding.
I have two project colors sourced from breeders, Isabelle and Mottled. No one is ever going to convince me they are not Ameraucana.
It would be like saying the occasional Bay is not a Friesian horse. They have to be Black to be registered. The Bays are simply unregistered Friesian. No one tries to call them some other name or come down on people selling a Bay Friesian.

Something in the chicken world went wonky at some point.

(None of this is directed at you)
I find it so odd that some show people say they’re not Ameraucanas simply because they’re not one of the accepted colors. Splash isn’t an accepted color yet it comes from breeding blues and blacks. Isabelle comes from breeding wheaten and lavender! Both of those also breed true. Although you breed them back to the original parent color to improve feather quality for them, I say those are absolutely true Ameraucanas, including the mottled project color you have.

Last edited:
I have my Rottweiler and Husky with 1/4 lab. They are great dogs. I never worry about what others think either. I love them and that’s all that matters. I actually have 6 kids and 2 dogs and 18 chickens and I ordered 5 more chickens that hatch tomorrow….they will be here Wednesday.
Well, God Bless you 6 kids that's fantastic. What state do you live in ? I'm in Florida

Also , where do I find who sets the chicken standard? I know AKC for dogs but is it for chicken thanks again
The APA (American Poultry Association) and ABA (American Bantam Association) set the standards for shown bird breeds in the United States.
On the one hand, according to show people this is true. I think they are totally wrong headed though. The mentality totally stymies ingenuity and closes too many people out of breeding.
I have two project colors sourced from breeders, Isabelle and Mottled. No one is ever going to convince me they are not Ameraucana.
It would be like saying the occasional Bay is not a Friesian horse. They have to be Black to be registered. The Bays are simply unregistered Friesian. No one tries to call them some other name or come down on people selling a Bay Friesian.

Something in the chicken world went wonky at some point.

(None of this is directed at you)
I am of the opinion that as long as a variety breeds true, you can call it a "real" Ameraucana, just maybe put a "project variety" in front of it to appease all the uptight people, lol. I plan on getting some Mottled and creating my own Isabels, so I totally support you believing they are real Ams.

I am of the opinion that as long as a variety breeds true, you can call it a "real" Ameraucana, just maybe put a "project variety" in front of it to appease all the uptight people, lol. I plan on getting some Mottled and creating my own Isabels, so I totally support you believing they are real Ams.
Exactly, they’re true Ameraucanas just different project colors. Every color was pretty much a project color at some point or another! You’ll definitely have to post some pictures of your Mottled and Isabel’s when you breed those, I would love to see them!

I find it so odd that some show people say they’re not Ameraucanas simply because they’re not one of the accepted colors. Splash isn’t an accepted color yet it comes from breeding blues and blacks. Isabelle comes from breeding wheaten and lavender! Both of those also breed true. Although you breed them back to the original parent color to improve feather quality for them, I say those are absolutely true Ameraucanas, including the mottled project color you have.
Honestly, if you wanted to say yours are Ameraucana, nothing in this world says you can’t. Just by the standers, you can’t show them. And it doesn’t sound like you would be doing that anyway. My 2 that have the muffs and beards, could I guess by considered Amerauncana in some way but I’m just sticking with EEs on them. Who knows when my Ameraucana cockerel has babies with them, I might get what is called standard chicken….

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom