The AMERAUCANA thread

Pics
Ok, so I'm currently hatching out some self blues for the first time and I have a question for those of you who may have hatched them out before. Would it be normal for a lavender to hatch out looking EXACTLY like a blue? I thought they'd look like a splash kinda, but this baby (only 1 has hatched so far) definitely looks like a blue. Did I accidentally get the wrong variety in my order?
View attachment 3201811
Nope, that looks lavender to me 😍 will be a nice darker lavender shade. They lighten as they fluff up!

Attachments

• 20FACBEB-F2FA-4291-8F2E-0FC1FB7E51F5.jpeg
    20FACBEB-F2FA-4291-8F2E-0FC1FB7E51F5.jpeg
    461.2 KB · Views: 3

Attachments

• 904AC40D-52FA-4A32-807E-CDDA1ECC12C5.jpeg
    904AC40D-52FA-4A32-807E-CDDA1ECC12C5.jpeg
    167.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 54B568D7-5150-4E39-B48F-330581813B61.jpeg
    54B568D7-5150-4E39-B48F-330581813B61.jpeg
    351.7 KB · Views: 3
Ok, so I'm currently hatching out some self blues for the first time and I have a question for those of you who may have hatched them out before. Would it be normal for a lavender to hatch out looking EXACTLY like a blue? I thought they'd look like a splash kinda, but this baby (only 1 has hatched so far) definitely looks like a blue. Did I accidentally get the wrong variety in my order?
View attachment 3201811

This little one looks like a lavender to me as well. Give it time to fluff out and dry off and it'll probably look more lavender-like. 🙂

Wonder if mottled Orps could be used instead? Leg color and such would remain constant so it seems like less work? I’m still learning though! Probably was a reason!

I wondered about that, myself. If it was a long time ago, though, Mottled Orpingtons may not have been as widely available to use for such a project, while Speckled Sussex have generally been pretty easy to acquire for a long time from hatcheries. It seems to me like the Mottled Orps were pretty unheard of until fairly recently.

This little one looks like a lavender to me as well. Give it time to fluff out and dry off and it'll probably look more lavender-like. 🙂

I wondered about that, myself. If it was a long time ago, though, Mottled Orpingtons may not have been as widely available to use for such a project, while Speckled Sussex have generally been pretty easy to acquire. It seems to me like the Mottled Orps were pretty unheard of until fairly recently.
Yeah that must be why. I would love to create mottled bantam Ameraucanas 😍 I currently have mottled EEs and thinking I could use them for the mottled gene?

Yeah that must be why. I would love to create mottled bantam Ameraucanas 😍 I currently have mottled EEs and thinking I could use them for the mottled gene?

It depends on what other genes they might carry, but it would be doable given a lot of time and effort. Some genes are just annoying to get rid of if they have them. Yellow skin, for example, is tough to breed out because it's recessive and can hide for generations, popping up later.

It depends on what other genes they might carry, but it would be doable given a lot of time and effort. Some genes are just annoying to get rid of if they have them. Yellow skin, for example, is tough to breed out because it's recessive and can hide for generations, popping up later.
This is Penny, my favorite pullet. Her legs are sort of mottled gray and pink. No yellow thankfully. And she has a pea comb 😍

Attachments

• 2AE855C2-0659-4176-B777-1D2E7D32ED6A.jpeg
    2AE855C2-0659-4176-B777-1D2E7D32ED6A.jpeg
    458.4 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom