The AMERAUCANA thread

Heard from the breeder this morning. That egg came from her pen that has some splits in it, so the baby is definitely a black split. At least I know what she is now. Oh well. She's still adorable!
View attachment 3202912
Yay! Well itā€™s always good to have blacks to keep your lavenders from getting too light! šŸ™ƒ glad you got that solved! :)

Plus Splits are really useful for feather quality. Hopefully you don't get any shredded feathers in your Lavs, but if you do you can use the Split girl with the best one.
Oh! I didn't know they were used for that. Man...maybe I should've read up on them more before getting them, lol. I mostly got them to make Isabel Ameraucanas as a project. I do plan on having good Self Blues too though.

Oh! I didn't know they were used for that. Man...maybe I should've read up on them more before getting them, lol. I mostly got them to make Isabel Ameraucanas as a project. I do plan on having good Self Blues too though.

Ahh, I see. It's so funny we are working in opposite directions. Our Isabel hens have no spouse, but I didn't want to hatch a bunch of Wheatens just to pick one boy when we're working with several other colors. I love the Isabel color but they have to be bred with Wheatens regularly to improve the feathering (shredding) which is apparently insidiously connected to Lav genes and pops back up (sorry if you already know this).
So, then I thought, heck, I love Lavender Mottled the best so why not use the Isabels as a source of Lav to make Ams that color, since ours don't show any feather shredding.
The 4 Isabel hens we got from the breeder were some of her 2+ year olds she was rotating out so I jumped on them because I don't care about maximum egg production whatsoever, yet before the worst of the summer heat they were lay about 3x/wk each.
I haven't done enough research yet myself, because I really want to know if I can use the quality Black cockerel over the Isabels and get back to Isabel in a few generations or if it has to be Wheaten they're crossed with. And I feel too dumb to ask, lol. It's really a lot to learn quickly so I totally understand where you're coming from.

So, what do you guys think of the traits of this hen?
I don't know how to assess wings and tails, etc besides "pretty" / "not pretty".
I only took pictures of this one because the others are going through a soft molt and look all kooky. She lost 2-3 big feathers from her tail, and her beard looks less full than before, but that could have been because she's the lowest on the pecking order, so we stuck her in with the "kids" and she's been so nice to them! (the Isy we tried yesterday, not so much, I got them mixed up).
Anyway, I could wait for her to look her personal best or just post now šŸ˜‹

Attachments

• P1010034.JPG
    P1010034.JPG
    689.1 KB · Views: 5
  • P1010050.JPG
    P1010050.JPG
    560.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Ahh, I see. It's so funny we are working in opposite directions. Our Isabel hens have no spouse, but I didn't want to hatch a bunch of Wheatens just to pick one boy when we're working with several other colors. I love the Isabel color but they have to be bred with Wheatens regularly to improve the feathering (shredding) which is apparently insidiously connected to Lav genes and pops back up (sorry if you already know this).
So, then I thought, heck, I love Lavender Mottled the best so why not use the Isabels as a source of Lav to make Ams that color, since ours don't show any feather shredding.
The 4 Isabel hens we got from the breeder were some of her 2+ year olds she was rotating out so I jumped on them because I don't care about maximum egg production whatsoever, yet before the worst of the summer heat they were lay about 3x/wk each.
I haven't done enough research yet myself, because I really want to know if I can use the quality Black cockerel over the Isabels and get back to Isabel in a few generations or if it has to be Wheaten they're crossed with. And I feel too dumb to ask, lol. It's really a lot to learn quickly so I totally understand where you're coming from.
I would imagine you'd have to cross to wheaten in order to get back to Isabel in just a few generations. Doesn't seem like a good idea to throw in a whole other E locus base....might make things a bit murky. Just my 2 cents though.

So, what do you guys think of the traits of this hen?
I don't know how to assess wings and tails, etc besides "pretty" / "not pretty".
I only took pictures of this one because the others are going through a soft molt and look all kooky. She lost 2-3 big feathers from her tail, and her beard looks less full than before, but that could have been because she's the lowest on the pecking order, so we stuck her in with the "kids" and she's been so nice to them! (the Isy we tried yesterday, not so much, I got them mixed up).
Anyway, I could wait for her to look her personal best or just post now šŸ˜‹
Sheā€™s a nice looking pullet! Has a good body shape, tail seems a decent slope and isnā€™t too fanned out or too pinchedā€¦her beard does look a bit small so thatā€™s tough to judge if you think itā€™s been ā€œgroomedā€ and her coloring is a bit washed out, but I think sheā€™s a very nice looking girl. Someone with more knowledge can correct me if Iā€™m off! Iā€™m still learning too šŸ˜

I have always said that Ameraucanas are without a doubt the cutest chickens. All of my boys especially have had the cutest faces I've ever seen on a chicken.
Only old pic I could find...my BW cockerel D'Artagnon ā¤:
View attachment 3207415
Oh heā€™s a handsome boy!! šŸ˜šŸ˜ I agree about the boys, they do have the cutest faces! Dā€™Uccles and dā€™Anvers come in a close 2nd/3rd though hehe!

Oh heā€™s a handsome boy!! šŸ˜šŸ˜ I agree about the boys, they do have the cutest faces! Dā€™Uccles and dā€™Anvers come in a close 2nd/3rd though hehe!
Yes, he was. And a good boy too. Very kind and gentle with his ladies. A real gentleman. His daddy was like that, too. His daddy, Hugo (wheaten) had the cutest face I've ever seen on any chicken ever. I really wish I had a pic of him. He actually died defending his girls from a raccoon, bless him. Such a good protector. He passed it on to all of his sons, although "Artie" was my favorite. Artie died when he got out of the coop after we had moved to our current town and he went up on the road and got hit šŸ˜ž I've always loved every Ameraucana boy I've had though. They're my all time favorites. But you're right, D'Uccles sure do have cute faces too. Wouldn't mind some Mille Fleurs and Isabels....so pretty!

Back
Top Bottom