The AMERAUCANA thread

Pics
Aww he's adorable! My broody girl is a bantam frizzle cochin! My splash Ameraucana has gone broody twice but she's very flaky with it and gets bored fast lol. The cochin on the other hand is insanely dedicated to the point where she brooded straw for a month and a half... I can finally let her hatch this year because we live on 5 acres now so I have a lot more space for chickens compared to our old house (we had a city limit of 4 hens, I was over it already with 6 haha). I'm debating on whether I want to let her hatch some wheaten Ameraucanas or olive eggers in late summer.
Haha yeah, I have a couple of broodies like that! Dedicated in the heat of summer ! I figured Ameraucanas would not be quite as good at brooding, so it makes sense you have a Cochin too 😆 Those girls are just the most impressive broodies!! Only one of my Cochins does well as a mom too…the others are far more into the brooding part only 😆 My Silkie is the super Mom. She will mom anything.

I’m soooo jealous—5 acres!! I cannot wait to move onto more land. I’m so tired of doing the mental math dance of how many can we handle on our 1/3 acre lot. 😫 You definitely need some wheatens 😁😁

Haha yeah, I have a couple of broodies like that! Dedicated in the heat of summer ! I figured Ameraucanas would not be quite as good at brooding, so it makes sense you have a Cochin too 😆 Those girls are just the most impressive broodies!! Only one of my Cochins does well as a mom too…the others are far more into the brooding part only 😆 My Silkie is the super Mom. She will mom anything.

I’m soooo jealous—5 acres!! I cannot wait to move onto more land. I’m so tired of doing the mental math dance of how many can we handle on our 1/3 acre lot. 😫 You definitely need some wheatens 😁😁
I’m seriously hoping Millie will be a good mom (I already know she’s good at brooding!) because if she is then she’ll be the designated mama in my flock to hatch eggs that I buy haha. I think I’ll get some wheatens next then hehe.

Here she is, awaiting the white Ameraucana eggs that will be here tomorrow!! I’ll have to post pictures of the little chicks once they hatch! Can’t wait!
B709A962-7AD6-480F-9D95-FE83AB6A55E7.jpeg

I’m seriously hoping Millie will be a good mom (I already know she’s good at brooding!) because if she is then she’ll be the designated mama in my flock to hatch eggs that I buy haha. I think I’ll get some wheatens next then hehe.

Here she is, awaiting the white Ameraucana eggs that will be here tomorrow!! I’ll have to post pictures of the little chicks once they hatch! Can’t wait!
View attachment 3490216
She definitely looks settled in for the long haul and such a pretty color :D My one cochin was trying to cover 15 Large Fowl eggs a couple weeks back hahaha. They be small but they be mighty. :D

I can't wait to see the beebies, definitely share! ❤️ ❤️ ❤️

Hello. Hoping somebody here can lessen my confusion. I have bantam BBS wheaten chicks who are 7 weeks old. None of the males have turned black/blue yet- and they aren’t splash. I see blue or black wing feathers and tail feathers on all of my birds so I believe that’s all I’ve got. 3 of my suspect males are a lot deeper red than the 2 potential females.
Is this normal? I’ve heard the males tend to turn dark around 4 weeks old, but I’m a bit past that mark. I’m just getting paranoid that maybe something is wrong, which admittedly sounds silly, but I want these birds to be healthy.
pictured is one I’m certain is a male. Biggest comb of all of the chicks, deep red color, but not black. The two I believe to be females have coloring much more similar to an adult wheaten female; paler and in general just lighter.
695B1E3C-38CD-4EE1-93EF-6ED0DEDE45F1.jpeg

View attachment 3490216
I have a little red cochin hatching out blue wheaton eggs. I hope your hen has a good hatch!

Ok anyone else here have a really broody Ameraucana??? My splash Ameraucana Zoe is now going broody for the 3rd time since she started to lay in February! I thought Ameraucanas were not supposed to be a broody breed…. Now I’m just considering sticking her in the mama area with Millie and giving her a couple of the white Ameraucana eggs to they can co-parent lol. She’s ridiculously sweet and a total lap chicken so maybe her mannerisms will pass onto the chicks that she raises? She’s still a huge sweetheart to me while she’s broody, doesn’t even growl when she realizes it’s me, but if you’re another chicken she’s a dinosaur. 🦖

Hello. Hoping somebody here can lessen my confusion. I have bantam BBS wheaten chicks who are 7 weeks old. None of the males have turned black/blue yet- and they aren’t splash. I see blue or black wing feathers and tail feathers on all of my birds so I believe that’s all I’ve got. 3 of my suspect males are a lot deeper red than the 2 potential females.
Is this normal? I’ve heard the males tend to turn dark around 4 weeks old, but I’m a bit past that mark. I’m just getting paranoid that maybe something is wrong, which admittedly sounds silly, but I want these birds to be healthy.
pictured is one I’m certain is a male. Biggest comb of all of the chicks, deep red color, but not black. The two I believe to be females have coloring much more similar to an adult wheaten female; paler and in general just lighter.
View attachment 3490982
Since they are wheatens, they won't be solid colored blue or black, they will be a reddish orange coloring with some black or blue feathers in places where they have black feathers. Splash wheatens end up sort of white/cream colored with reddish orange patches. Wheatens are sort of odd in the ways they feather out, and yours look totally normal :) This is my wheaten cockerel Ducky Jr. as a baby and filled out. :) Hoping I answered your question?

Attachments

• IMG_8929.jpg
    IMG_8929.jpg
    852.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3693.jpg
    IMG_3693.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 2
Since they are wheatens, they won't be solid colored blue or black, they will be a reddish orange coloring with some black or blue feathers in places where they have black feathers. Splash wheatens end up sort of white/cream colored with reddish orange patches. Wheatens are sort of odd in the ways they feather out, and yours look totally normal :) This is my wheaten cockerel Ducky Jr. as a baby and filled out. :) Hoping I answered your question?
Yes, thank you. I know what they look like as adults, I was just getting paranoid they may not be growing properly because i've heard that as young as 4 weeks old males will start getting black feathering in, of course, those areas adults have black feathers. Mostly in the breast, I guess i've heard, but right now all of mine have pale breast feathers.
Thank you a lot though.

Back
Top Bottom