The AMERAUCANA thread

Pics
Thanks! I agree, he’s quite handsome and his comb is nice and tight, I sure hope it stays that way! 🤪 His only issue is some gold leakage in his hackles. It's very light leakage though, so shouldn't cause too many issues in breeding I hope! My best type boy is also gorgeous, but he's got some massive leakage 😫 So much so ww named him Leaky 😆 He’s also a bit of a butt! 🤪
Ohh no. Hopefully you can get some non-leaky sons from him? I don't know how I missed that in the first photos, but it does look very light.
Hopefully his comb shape will stay good too. I have a cockerel with awful comb shape, and looking back it was pretty apparent from the moment he started growing. It started growing upright, and just never stopped.

I have found the Ameraucana self blue to be much more susceptible to the sun bleaching than other breeds. I have self blue d’Anvers and their coloring is so much cleaner and not yellow! It’s weird 🤪
I'm wondering if it's because they may be based on the Gold based blacks. Or they have the gene that causes silver to bleach out.

I had two silver Phoenix cockerels one bleached out and the other remained clear silver. I sold both of them. Wishing i would have kep the non bleaching one now. So the two I have now that I'm growing out I hope they don't bleach out. :fl

I'm wondering if it's because they may be based on the Gold based blacks. Or they have the gene that causes silver to bleach out.

I had two silver Phoenix cockerels one bleached out and the other remained clear silver. I sold both of them. Wishing i would have kep the non bleaching one now. So the two I have now that I'm growing out I hope they don't bleach out. :fl
That’s probably it. I’ve seen, on FB and the ameraucana alliance website, that people seem to breed black lines separately than blues, and often good black birds would be gold-based as opposed to silver-based like blues. FB breeders are super picky about how they breed birds- mind you, this isn’t a negative trait, I just mean that the line is drawn much more clearly between ameraucana varieties, and breeders are very very serious about segregating varieties for breeding. Since crossing blue to lavender is such a no-no, and people will often cross back to black, i wouldn’t be surprised if lavender ameraucanas are most commonly based on gold.

That’s probably it. I’ve seen, on FB and the ameraucana alliance website, that people seem to breed black lines separately than blues, and often good black birds would be gold-based as opposed to silver-based like blues. FB breeders are super picky about how they breed birds- mind you, this isn’t a negative trait, I just mean that the line is drawn much more clearly between ameraucana varieties, and breeders are very very serious about segregating varieties for breeding. Since crossing blue to lavender is such a no-no, and people will often cross back to black, i wouldn’t be surprised if lavender ameraucanas are most commonly based on gold.
It seams that the gold base makes the green sheen better. I believe silver is better in blue because it eliminates the brassiness that can occur in the color. This is why I believe silver base would be better for lavender because leakage would be less noticeable and it would help eliminate the brassiness they tend to have now.

Back
Top Bottom