The AMERAUCANA thread

Pics
SIx eggs isn't very many. Do you expect 100% hatch rate?
Nope I don't. It could be that much but I think it will 50% or below. I've got alot of different breeds coming in. I might get more eggs than the 6 tho.

I got some Dutch bantam eggs in an auction for 5+. She sent me 13 total.

Nope I don't. It could be that much but I think it will 50% or below. I've got alot of different breeds coming in. I might get more eggs than the 6 tho.

I got some Dutch bantam eggs in an auction for 5+. She sent me 13 total.
I saw those on eBay too! I have hesitated to bid on their eggs because I didn't want to get more non-SOP birds--wish I had known you have gotten some from them before! You are happy with the quality? I will have to keep them in mind in the future. For now I am set...I decided to go in on the ABC Silent Auction...I bid on both the bantam donations hoping to win one...and won BOTH haha. Good thing it's for a fundraiser!

SO, I will be getting at least two dozen bantam black and wheaten/blue wheatens in the Spring from high quality breeders. Woohoo! I do NOT need 24+ more birds...but dang it if I am going to find a way to make space for them haha.

@BigBlueHen53 Once in a Blue Moon is where I am getting my black bantam eggs from in the Silent Auction and she is the ABC Secretary. You can also check with Muddy Acres Farm Rice VA LLC (on Facebook too), Red Roof Hens in North Carolina, Green Grables in NC, and Tar Box Hollow (has a website). All are fantastic people and have lovely birds. Once in a Blue Moon has mainly black, brown red, and white, Muddy Acres has black, wheaten/blue wheaten, white and buff, Red Roof has blues and adorable project birds (bantam EEs), Green Grables has self-blues and project colors, and Tar Box has blacks. :) Someday I hope to also offer some in the West...finding good bantams out where I live is just not at all easy.

Incessantly nosy birds. These are actually all of the pullets I own… crowded into one photo, staring me down(except ms. Distracted in the back) and being nosy. their cockerel is nowhere to be found in the photo, he’s a shy little guy.View attachment 3653740
I sold two birds. A wheaten cockerel and wheaten pullet, so now I’m down to one blue wheaten cockerel and 9 pullets… a mixture of blue wheaten and wheaten. I’m a bit sad, as the wheaten cockerel was so so friendly(and my remaining guy is quite skittish), but he wouldn't have been a good breeding choice, and I didn’t have extra space to keep him as a pet.
Look at those cuties!! I have found my wheatens to be extra sweet and friendly, but also super nosy and adventurous. When I visit my three that are younger, they always found a way to escape the run to investigate...so I named the Bonnie and Clyde and Blanche (who was apparently the reluctant accomplice and the wife of Clyde's brother in their robberies). Bonnie and Clyde always run out together and Blanche hesitates and waits and doesn't leave the area near me. Like....okay, I have escaped to explore...but I am not so sure I like this feeling. Haha. My black and blue Ams are just normal and sort of nervous about leaving the run...but the wheatens are always like FREEDOM! TREATS! PETS! :lol: :love

I saw those on eBay too! I have hesitated to bid on their eggs because I didn't want to get more non-SOP birds--wish I had known you have gotten some from them before! You are happy with the quality? I will have to keep them in mind in the future. For now I am set...I decided to go in on the ABC Silent Auction...I bid on both the bantam donations hoping to win one...and won BOTH haha. Good thing it's for a fundraiser!

SO, I will be getting at least two dozen bantam black and wheaten/blue wheatens in the Spring from high quality breeders. Woohoo! I do NOT need 24+ more birds...but dang it if I am going to find a way to make space for them haha.

@BigBlueHen53 Once in a Blue Moon is where I am getting my black bantam eggs from in the Silent Auction and she is the ABC Secretary. You can also check with Muddy Acres Farm Rice VA LLC (on Facebook too), Red Roof Hens in North Carolina, Green Grables in NC, and Tar Box Hollow (has a website). All are fantastic people and have lovely birds. Once in a Blue Moon has mainly black, brown red, and white, Muddy Acres has black, wheaten/blue wheaten, white and buff, Red Roof has blues and adorable project birds (bantam EEs), Green Grables has self-blues and project colors, and Tar Box has blacks. :) Someday I hope to also offer some in the West...finding good bantams out where I live is just not at all easy.
Not sure how they are going to turn out. We will know October 31st. And well as they grow then I can report on quality.

Not sure how they are going to turn out. We will know October 31st. And well as they grow then I can report on quality.
Ahhh okay! Well I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts! I have been very happy with Red Roof Hens, even if a few have had some minimal leakage, they are nice quality and great temperaments. Plus Krista is just a really nice person!

Pictures of the Ameraucana bantam and Black Rose Comb eggs.

1000003453.jpg

Back
Top Bottom