The AMERAUCANA thread

Pics
It's not to bad. I'll get some pictures and see what the Ameraucana facebook group says. If it'd to bad I'll sell them and order some hatching eggs from one of the farms.

I saw those on eBay too! I have hesitated to bid on their eggs because I didn't want to get more non-SOP birds--wish I had known you have gotten some from them before! You are happy with the quality? I will have to keep them in mind in the future. For now I am set...I decided to go in on the ABC Silent Auction...I bid on both the bantam donations hoping to win one...and won BOTH haha. Good thing it's for a fundraiser!

SO, I will be getting at least two dozen bantam black and wheaten/blue wheatens in the Spring from high quality breeders. Woohoo! I do NOT need 24+ more birds...but dang it if I am going to find a way to make space for them haha.

@BigBlueHen53 Once in a Blue Moon is where I am getting my black bantam eggs from in the Silent Auction and she is the ABC Secretary. You can also check with Muddy Acres Farm Rice VA LLC (on Facebook too), Red Roof Hens in North Carolina, Green Grables in NC, and Tar Box Hollow (has a website). All are fantastic people and have lovely birds. Once in a Blue Moon has mainly black, brown red, and white, Muddy Acres has black, wheaten/blue wheaten, white and buff, Red Roof has blues and adorable project birds (bantam EEs), Green Grables has self-blues and project colors, and Tar Box has blacks. :) Someday I hope to also offer some in the West...finding good bantams out where I live is just not at all easy.
Thank you so much! I would like to have some blacks and some blues. But LF, not bantams.
Some of my Cackle lavender pullets look like they have crow heads. 😔
Um, what are crow heads? Got pics?

Thank you so much! I would like to have some blacks and some blues. But LF, not bantams.

Um, what are crow heads? Got pics?
I'll get some pictures today or tomorrow. Iii pull something from the internet for reference this morning. After reading it might not be that but a different imbalance in head structure.

Ameraucana have a hawk looking head. Reason why I like them. The two pullets I have the head reminds me of a chauaua and not a hawk. Beak kinda shoved in its face and a wall of a forehead.

Will still get some good pictures of their heads and have some experts have a look.

Last edited:
Hello everyone! I wanted to start a thread where you can show off, learn about, or teach others about ameraucanas. I don’t own this breed… yet, but I have 3 eggs in the incubator! Your birds must be true Ameraucanas only! If you are not sure you are welcome to ask!
@EmmaRainboe

Please tag anyone else who owns ameraucanas! :)
For those of you who know about blue Ameraucanas, do the shades of light to dark vary among individuals, or would a bird this dark be suspicious for cockerel? I only have one other true Ameraucana (lavender rooster), so I can't compare. She seems so dark compared to photos I look up. She's supposed to be a sexed pullet, pure blue Ameraucana. She got way darker on the head/neck from when she was a chick, so I'm just not sure. I've also heard her making the tidbitting call for her friends of the same age. Photos are at 10 weeks old. Last photo is her a few days old. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20231010_181215.jpg
    20231010_181215.jpg
    608.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 20231010_182424.jpg
    20231010_182424.jpg
    403.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 20231010_182404.jpg
    20231010_182404.jpg
    554.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 20231010_181212.jpg
    20231010_181212.jpg
    477.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 20231010_182336.jpg
    20231010_182336.jpg
    531.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230809_184450.jpg
    20230809_184450.jpg
    337.3 KB · Views: 4
For those of you who know about blue Ameraucanas, do the shades of light to dark vary among individuals, or would a bird this dark be suspicious for cockerel? I only have one other true Ameraucana (lavender rooster), so I can't compare. She seems so dark compared to photos I look up. She's supposed to be a sexed pullet, pure blue Ameraucana. She got way darker on the head/neck from when she was a chick, so I'm just not sure. I've also heard her making the tidbitting call for her friends of the same age. Photos are at 10 weeks old. Last photo is her a few days old. Thanks!
She's a beautiful blue pullet :) She is very dark, but that is pretty common. The depth of the blue color depends on other genetics and inline breeding, I believe the Andalusian blues that have been used to introduce the dark blue with even darker lacing brought in some darker blues to the line. I actually have a girl right now who is very dark and even has what is called "gypsy face", which means too much black pigment in the face. The dark blue should even out more as she molts and ages. Pretty girl you have!

Attachments

• FBD3BEB5-9A36-4ED0-B504-0DFE7445A395.jpeg
    FBD3BEB5-9A36-4ED0-B504-0DFE7445A395.jpeg
    490.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 5D776004-CC06-4EB2-B84E-FA0BB41A434D.jpeg
    5D776004-CC06-4EB2-B84E-FA0BB41A434D.jpeg
    447.4 KB · Views: 5
She's a beautiful blue pullet :) She is very dark, but that is pretty common. The depth of the blue color depends on other genetics and inline breeding, I believe the Andalusian blues that have been used to introduce the dark blue with even darker lacing brought in some darker blues to the line. I actually have a girl right now who is very dark and even has what is called "gypsy face", which means too much black pigment in the face. The dark blue should even out more as she molts and ages. Pretty girl you have!
@kurby22 Thank you for the explanation! I know they can be tricky to tell gender until they get hackle and/or saddle feathers. The hatchery said only 75-80% accuracy, so one tends to wonder, lol. I see what you mean about the black around the face. I didn't know there was a term for it, but one of our EEs we created got it, and I think it's beautiful. Now I know what to call it!😉Well, the black is just around her eyes and neither parent had it. I'll post her picture. Can you tell me if it's "gypsy face"?
Your girl is beautiful as well! She has such a sweet look to her face! Thanks again!

Attachments

• 20230729_180746.jpg
    20230729_180746.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 5
@kurby22 Thank you for the explanation! I know they can be tricky to tell gender until they get hackle and/or saddle feathers. The hatchery said only 75-80% accuracy, so one tends to wonder, lol. I see what you mean about the black around the face. I didn't know there was a term for it, but one of our EEs we created got it, and I think it's beautiful. Now I know what to call it!😉Well, the black is just around her eyes and neither parent had it. I'll post her picture. Can you tell me if it's "gypsy face"?
Your girl is beautiful as well! She has such a sweet look to her face! Thanks again!
Also known a Mulberry face.

Back
Top Bottom