The AMERAUCANA thread

Pics
@kurby22 Thank you for the explanation! I know they can be tricky to tell gender until they get hackle and/or saddle feathers. The hatchery said only 75-80% accuracy, so one tends to wonder, lol. I see what you mean about the black around the face. I didn't know there was a term for it, but one of our EEs we created got it, and I think it's beautiful. Now I know what to call it!😉Well, the black is just around her eyes and neither parent had it. I'll post her picture. Can you tell me if it's "gypsy face"?
Your girl is beautiful as well! She has such a sweet look to her face! Thanks again!
Oh your other EE is gorgeous!! She doesn't technically have gypsy face though as her face coloring and comb are red like they should be! Gypsy, or mulberry, face results in the skin pigment itself being black instead of red! So they look all black in the face...I have a Marans that is also gypsy face and she's very dark! True black skin shouldn’t allow the red to creep in, but in Bebe’s case you can see she’s mostly black faced and her comb is black but her wattles have gotten more red as she ages. When she was a baby it was all black. They’re supposed to be red like your EE :) It’s kind of fun and difference! Just not ideal for showing chickens in the show circuits.

Attachments

• 4E58CF94-6A24-4F34-A4D3-05C9A3940784.jpeg
    4E58CF94-6A24-4F34-A4D3-05C9A3940784.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
Oh your other EE is gorgeous!! She doesn't technically have gypsy face though as her face coloring and comb are red like they should be! Gypsy, or mulberry, face results in the skin pigment itself being black instead of red! So they look all black in the face...I have a Marans that is also gypsy face and she's very dark! True black skin shouldn’t allow the red to creep in, but in Bebe’s case you can see she’s mostly black faced and her comb is black but her wattles have gotten more red as she ages. When she was a baby it was all black. They’re supposed to be red like your EE :) It’s kind of fun and difference! Just not ideal for showing chickens in the show circuits.
Oh Ok, I see. One of my Australorps is more like that, but I'm sure she will get her red wattles someday:). Is it the same thing as being called melanistic? It comes to mind for Ayam Cemani mixes that people are calling "zombie chickens" because of their black/grey faces.

Attachments

• 20231010_181636.jpg
    20231010_181636.jpg
    327.1 KB · Views: 7
Oh Ok, I see. One of my Australorps is more like that, but I'm sure she will get her red wattles someday:). Is it the same thing as being called melanistic? It comes to mind for Ayam Cemani mixes that people are calling "zombie chickens" because of their black/grey faces.
Yes! This girl has got some of that going on! And yeah, I believe it is due to over melanization. I think the "zombie chickens" are a good example of the stark contrast it can create in the lighter feathered birds. It looks really cool, but I am very hopeful that my girl pushes past the black and gets a red comb, haha!

This is Hedwig & Errol. They are 7 mo old sisters who laid two blue eggs about a month ago and then decided they were over it. I've searched the yard for a clutch hiding somewhere and I can't find anything. Their other siblings who we got at the same time (different breeds) all started laying a few months ago and have been consistent with their eggs. I've never had a chicken start laying in the summer only to lay just one egg and stop!

IMG_0862.jpg

IMG_0869.jpg

Yes! This girl has got some of that going on! And yeah, I believe it is due to over melanization. I think the "zombie chickens" are a good example of the stark contrast it can create in the lighter feathered birds. It looks really cool, but I am very hopeful that my girl pushes past the black and gets a red comb, haha!
It does seem like they do tend to push through the black? I think I remember my EE being much darker when she was younger, and the picture I added was fairly recent. She's about 11 months old in that photo and is pretty red in the comb. Thank you for the info, even though we got off the topic of Ameraucanas! lol

This is Hedwig & Errol. They are 7 mo old sisters who laid two blue eggs about a month ago and then decided they were over it. I've searched the yard for a clutch hiding somewhere and I can't find anything. Their other siblings who we got at the same time (different breeds) all started laying a few months ago and have been consistent with their eggs. I've never had a chicken start laying in the summer only to lay just one egg and stop!

View attachment 3657954
View attachment 3657955
Haha, they are beautiful and sound like they might have decided that since Fall is closing in on us, they will just break till Spring! I had a Wyandotte do that...fickle ladies! :)

Back
Top Bottom