The AMERAUCANA thread

Pics
Man I can't wait till I get my Silver hatching eggs from GypsyHen. Then I can get my project going and I'll have my favorite color of Ameraucanas!

Projects are: silver lavender and blue golden duckwing. Nether are SOP but who cares they are the colors I love and I'll be breeding the body type to SOP.

Happy Tom And Jerry GIF
Exciting! The silver lavender especially to me- the males of that color are such a beautiful, light shade. Gray shades and silver work really well together. The hens are stunning as well.

This is Sunny and Sammy!View attachment 3731088
I think Sunny is a splash wheaten, and Sammy (second picture) should be either wheaten, blue wheaten, or splash wheaten, but apparently her colouring is weird and more partridgey? I don’t know. But they are ameraucanas.
View attachment 3731089
They hatched in July. We live in Canada where the days are still pretty short, so they aren’t laying yet, but I expect they’ll start in the next month or two.
They’re lovely! I’d say Sammy is a Blue wheaten, since her tail is blue. Tail & wing color is really the best way to determine that- splashes having white tails, blues having blues, and wheatens having black tails.
she is dark, but still within the realm of possible for a blue wheaten. I have a few pullets who are fairly dark and reddish colored, and one who shows hackle markings like she does. The hackle markings aren’t ideal, but I’ve been told the exact shade of wheaten a hen isn’t doesn’t matter so much as the evenness of her pattern. As long as she started out solid yellow/white, at least.

Man I can't wait till I get my Silver hatching eggs from GypsyHen. Then I can get my project going and I'll have my favorite color of Ameraucanas!

Projects are: silver lavender and blue golden duckwing. Nether are SOP but who cares they are the colors I love and I'll be breeding the body type to SOP.

Happy Tom And Jerry GIF
Oooooo! I have those same eggs in my cart haha, I want them but I don't NEED them so I am just enjoying knowing that I COULD buy them if the sanity leaves me! :D You definitely have to post lots of pictures of them when they hatch!! :love

Oooooo! I have those same eggs in my cart haha, I want them but I don't NEED them so I am just enjoying knowing that I COULD buy them if the sanity leaves me! :D You definitely have to post lots of pictures of them when they hatch!! :love
I will! I'll be down sizing my flock a bit to accommodate them!.

she is dark, but still within the realm of possible for a blue wheaten. I have a few pullets who are fairly dark and reddish colored, and one who shows hackle markings like she does. The hackle markings aren’t ideal, but I’ve been told the exact shade of wheaten a hen isn’t doesn’t matter so much as the evenness of her pattern. As long as she started out solid yellow/white, at least.

Ah, I was the one that said she looked partridgey on another thread, so this is good to know. Pending possible chick down coloration changing your stance, would you say she's definitely E^Wh/E^Wh with some other genes modifying the coloration, or is she potentially heterozygous for one of the other e-locus genes that E^Wh is not fully dominant over?

Ah, I was the one that said she looked partridgey on another thread, so this is good to know. Pending possible chick down coloration changing your stance, would you say she's definitely E^Wh/E^Wh with some other genes modifying the coloration, or is she potentially heterozygous for one of the other e-locus genes that E^Wh is not fully dominant over?
Potentially heterozygous or with some gene causing those hackle markings. They’re the part that stands out as weird to me. The body shade is possible on a wheaten, from my experience, but I’ve never seen a hen with such strong hackle leakage.

Okay for future reference how do you tell an americana from an easter egger? Because this is from Murray hatchery, and it looks pretty similar to one of my girls:

Murray McMurray Hatchery - Ameraucanas

Is this just not an Ameraucana or is there some important differences I am missing?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom