What Size is you coop & run and how many hen do you house in there??

joshremlin

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 15, 2012
Sheffield (UK)
hi im getting very very mixed reviews on how many hens i could house in my coop im going to build so to give me a better idea what is the size of your coop and run and how many hens do you have in there??

thanks in advance little hens =]

I've heard anywhere from 2 square feet to 4 square feet per bird for the coop. The run, anywhere from 8 to 10 square feet per bird.
There are alot of opinoins out there. I'd say give them as much as you can spare.

Good luck.

Last edited:
My pen or run is 12 X 22 ( 264 sqft) and I have 17 birds and they seem to be doing just fine, at 10 sqft per bird I can have up to 26 birds. I do let them free range from the time I get home in the afternoon till they go to coop (by themselves).
My coop is too small for 17 birds, so, I am in the process of putting on an addition which will give them just about 4 sqft per bird.

Last edited:
We have six hens, A 28 sq foot coop, and ~100 sq foot covered run that is still under construction with 32 sq ft of the run is under the coop. that is 24" off the ground.

I seemed to me that if the hens need to be inside for extended periods due to weather the coop should be larger than if they can be outdoors all day every day.

My coop/run is 96 sqft with 32 nest boxes. I currently have 16 young (less than 4 months old) chickens (4 or 5 of which are roos) and 3 EE pullets 14 months old. I'm getting ready to add an addition that will double the size of the coop/run. I want to get the addition finished ASAP, as they are growing like crazy and I don't want them to be crowded. I plan to start allowing supervised free range sessions soon, too, as soon as our slab is poured and the house is erected.

I have one main coop that is 5x12 (60 sq ft inside) with an all fenced outside run that is 12x24 (288 sq ft) I keep 24 hens and two roos in it. I have no problems with it. I have just started building smaller breeder pens that are 12x4 in which I put 4 chickens (3 hens 1 roo), but they get out to free range durning the day.

our coop is 6x6x8 main and 3x6x4 attached brooder and the run is 16x22 and we have 9 year old hens and 7 chicks coming up. Once the chicks are ready to joint the big girls we'll add another run that will be another 10x10. Our girls are happy,healthy and very funny :)

Back
Top Bottom