What Size is you coop & run and how many hen do you house in there??

We were have a 6x6 (and way over 6 feet tall) structure we're turning into a chicken enclosure and we were told we could get away with the open air method in our climate.

pics of the enclosure here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/673773/new-to-chickens-will-this-work

So we're knocking out the windows, creating a roof structure,and lining it all with hardware cloth. We're adding some roosts and other things to the interior. Also adding on an adjacent run after this project is completed.

I'm concerned that the chickens might enjoy a smaller enclosed space within the structure to have nest boxes and some roosts. We found an existing structure that would be easy to convert. It is 2.5x3.5 and about 3 feet high. Will this be big enough for four medium sized birds (australorp, wyandotte, delawares)? It sounds like we wouldn't need to lock them inside it ever if the bigger enclosure (I hesitate to call it a run because I was considering it the coop!) will be predator proof.

We have a 'hen house' which is two separate areas of the barn our chickens use. Each room is roughly 14' x 26' . We also have a grow-out room which is about 10' x 12' foot area. Their outside run is 8' x 16' foot. We also let your flock out most evenings to free range a few hours before dusk. At the moment we only have 35 chickens.

Last edited:
Keep in mind guys, that the space suggestions are very generic - use common sense based on the weather in your region, the size birds you're keeping in that space, and breed temperament. 

Someone who gets 6 months of winter and lots of snow is going to need lots more indoor space than someone who lives down south and whose birds only go inside to roost at night or to lay an egg.  Two sq.ft. per bird is not roomy, but if they're only in there to roost, and are outside year round due to mild weather, it's certainly doable. 

But could you imagine only 2 sq. ft. per bird (HOUSING space) with a foot or more of snow on the ground for months on end so the birds stay indoors a lot???  I cringe thinking about that... 

Or how about a big 10- 12 lb Brahma or Jersey Giant at 2 sq. ft per bird vs a little 1.5 lb D'uccle????

That's part of the reason there is such discrepancy in size recommendations...
my girl s have a completely covered pen and I wrap it in clear wrap to keep every bit of snow out and wi d cold to. The coop is roomy as I know when it hits 30/40 below they may want to stay indoors. Last winter our pen was so wrapped up they were in there pen all the time. I was shocked but then wrapping the pen so well kept the wi d and snow out and the pen was dry. When we increased the coop and pen this year, we also added an electric pop door and wired it for lights and a heated waterer. Life will be so much easier this winter. In places that get cold, 4 square feet of space is a must. I

I was talking to critterbug :) here is her post'
well this is what you wrote..hence the reason I said that was way to many chickens.
Hum, 60 sq ft inside is equal to 2.5 sq ft per bird plus 288 outside is equal to 12 sq ft per bird, so each bird has 14.5 sq ft. I don't think that is way to many. BTW, that's a rooster in the picture not a hen,
wink.png

My birds are so bored! I have five 9 week old pullets in a run that's 8x5 (40 square feet, or 8ft per bird) with an upstairs loft (coop) half that size, so 4ft per bird. They can come and go upstairs and downstairs as they please, and there are several different roosting places, so they theoretically have enough space, but they beg me to go out and play and seem very bored inside. (They just sit around most of the time!) I read to hang up a cabbage, so I did that, but they don't peck or play with it, and I'm not sure what else I can do to entertain them while I'm away at work all day. I let them out in the evening, but they do tend to wander off (luckily my neighbor doesn't seem to mind, though she did call me yesterday to tell me they were visiting her) and I lost one to an unknown chicken thief last week so I want to be careful.

Sitting pecking, scratching, eating, grooming and napping is pretty much what content birds do. Mine (11 weeks old) are lined up to go outside first thing in the morning, they mess around for a few minutes then go into tractor when they continue to peck, scratch, eat, preen and sit around until sunset when they line up to get back inside squabble over perch spots and sleep until the sun comes up again. They do like to get snacks and one of them likes to be held but in reality these activities are for the enjoyment of us humans.

I am not saying this to be mean but chickens have very small brains and don't need much mental stimulation or entertainment.

Last edited:
So thats 11 birds in one 4x6 coop
ep.gif

My brooder is 2 1/2 x 3 (7 sq ft ) and our 6 chicks were over crowded in it by the time they were 8 weeks old. We had then in there at night until last week because the weather was not cooperating with my coop building schedule but had them out at first light and in at dusk and still I felt so guilty.

The coop is 4x7 ( 28 sq ft) No one seems to mention this but one of the things I noticed about having enough floor space is that the chickens, especially their feet, are so much cleaner.

We found an existing structure that would be easy to convert. It is 2.5x3.5 and about 3 feet high. Will this be big enough for four medium sized birds (australorp, wyandotte, delawares)? It sounds like we wouldn't need to lock them inside it ever if the bigger enclosure (I hesitate to call it a run because I was considering it the coop!) will be predator proof.
That's about 9 sq ft and would be tight fit for three hens. If they aren't ever confined it could work though the low hen might end up roosting alone somewhere else.

Back
Top Bottom