Worried. Hatching eggs for the first time!

alvarez91

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 19, 2011
I have a Buff Orpington/Rhode Island Red cross that went broody about 4 days ago. My "chicken lady" is giving me a dozen fertile eggs tonight, and I would really like to try hatching them. The problem is that I am moving to my grandma's house in 2 weeks, so I will have to move the hen. I cannot get the eggs after that, because the lady will not be going back to her ranch until the end of the month. My plan is to move the hen to my grandma's house tomorrow. I set up a nest, using a small pet carrier, and I put that inside of a large (4x4x3ft), wire cage. I live in San Diego, and the temperature at this time of year stays between 60F(night) and 80F. The cage will probably be either inside of the house or in the garage.

Will this set up work? Will the hen stop being broody if I move her? Assuming she constantly has food and water, will the cage be large enough for her? She has only been coming out of the nest once a day, when I feed her, for about 2 minutes. Should I clean the nest at all throughout the 3 weeks? Thanks in advance for any advice!

That set-up sounds just about perfect. The risk is that she might break from being broody when you move her. You are dealing with a living animal so you cannot know for sure what will happen, but I think your odds of success are pretty good. If you can, either move her at night and keep her in the dark, or cover her so she is in the dark during the move. Just be careful not to overheat her.

Good luck!!!!

Trying to move a broody hen may or may not work (ie she might not be willing to set on the new nest. There's no reason at all to clean the nest or mess with it all during the setting--the hen will take care of keeping it however it is supposed to be. Leave her room to get off the nest when she needs to and she should not poop in the nest. Encourage her to do so by keeping her water and food nearby but not immediately within reach of the nest. My goal is always to imitate nature, so generally being as hands-off as possible is the key to success with this in my book.

I'd be curious to hear how it goes with the move. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom