6 Toes?

Is this 6 toes?

• Yes, this is a 6 toe bird

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • No, its some sort of abnormal growth from something other than genetics

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Dude, this crap happens all time stop making threads over nothing ya dummy.

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
Just got my first chick order, I got a silked easter egger from my pet chicken with an extra tiny 6th toe. Came looking to see if it's okay, etc, or if I should call them about it. But just wanted to add input of another chicky with 5 normal toes, like a silky, but an extra tiny weird brown claw-toe like you got there. I wonder if it'll get bigger as she ages.

Just got my first chick order, I got a silked easter egger from my pet chicken with an extra tiny 6th toe. Came looking to see if it's okay, etc, or if I should call them about it. But just wanted to add input of another chicky with 5 normal toes, like a silky, but an extra tiny weird brown claw-toe like you got there. I wonder if it'll get bigger as she ages.
Extra toes/nails on 5 toed breeds and crosses is not unusual.

I know it’s a different breed but I’ve bred silkies (both with the correct 5 toes on each feet, both parents) and I’ve ended up with some with either half of a 6th toe or the 6th toenail coming out of the 5th toe.

It usually happened with my silkies that had primarily recessive traits so maybe it’s something recessive, I’m not sure.

Funky toes in any breed that has more than the 4 standard number of toes isn’t uncommon, just sometimes a surprise when it pops up! Most common ‘defects’ are a missing 5th toe or an extra 6th toe.

Thanks!!
I attached some pics so others can see what I was talking about.
IMG_20200220_114301_801.jpg
IMG_20200220_114301_802.jpg
IMG_20200220_114301_805.jpg
IMG_20200220_130101_913.jpg

Why would anybody intentionally breed for defects? So much so that defects have become part of the breed standard (5 toes for silkies, apparently). I just don't understand that.

One of my chickens has a toenail on his NECK. He came from a breeder's personal project. Who knows what happened in that line...

I know it’s a different breed but I’ve bred silkies (both with the correct 5 toes on each feet, both parents) and I’ve ended up with some with either half of a 6th toe or the 6th toenail coming out of the 5th toe.

It usually happened with my silkies that had primarily recessive traits so maybe it’s something recessive, I’m not sure.

Funky toes in any breed that has more than the 4 standard number of toes isn’t uncommon, just sometimes a surprise when it pops up! Most common ‘defects’ are a missing 5th toe or an extra 6th toe.
I am starting a silkie project here and sorting through chicks. If I have chicks with extra toes or nails and then some that only have four toes, if you are choosing between those two defects which is easier to breed out? Not enough toes or too many? What about comb defects? Should I cull feet defects before combs or vice versa?

Back
Top Bottom