Any Home Bakers Here?

It’s time for a riddle. Believe it or not, this is baking related.

IMG_2894.jpeg

What did I do here with my Dutch oven?

Baking is in progress, that’s your only hint.

The clock is ticking, as soon as the baking is done, I will reveal the answer.

It’s time for a riddle. Believe it or not, this is baking related.

View attachment 3808604

What did I do here with my Dutch oven?

Baking is in progress, that’s your only hint.

The clock is ticking, as soon as the baking is done, I will reveal the answer.
I did something similar when I cooked a pitted suckling pig!

It was a four foot deep pit big enough to burn prune wood for several hours to get enough coals. The pig was very tasty!

Wow, really? I didn't see any coals, but I figured that you had something hot buried with it. What are you making? It sounds cool!

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/284679/toad-in-the-hole/

It’s actually a long story of why I’m making this recipe. A family I minister to in my church is from England. The wife of that family had a heart attack and is in the hospital. I was assigned to give them dinner on Tuesday. This was a trial run of a recipe I was going to make for them.

I might make something else, though. This recipe is delicious, but it’s not enough to feed their family.

At least I know how to cook with a buried dutch oven now.

jnicholes

I was going to guess,,, Baking potatoes in those coals... Then I read a Dutch oven,,, so that could be anything else done that way.:idunno
I think your recipe would come out fine using Dutch oven the traditional campfire way also.:old

I actually figured out what I did wrong with the recipe I used. It turns out for this recipe, for a really good rise, you need to let the batter sit in the refrigerator overnight. The recipe I used is not really that good, as a result. That’s my own opinion, though.

I’m trying a different recipe tomorrow. Same cooking method.

ETA: my dad used to be a scoutmaster, and he always cooked with a Dutch oven buried in the ground. I decided to experiment with it and it works.

Back
Top Bottom