hatching eggs without turning?

I read on here a while back about someone hatching chickens without turning the eggs they had some success- but turning is an important part of the incubation process and not turning can cause deformities. Not worth the risk- you want the eggs to have the best chance of hatching healthy dont you?

Chicken eggs here hatch set in egg cartons (pulp style that have been trimmed) at lockdown. They are in auto turners before that.

Duck eggs are auto turned until lockdown then set on their sides, or at. 45* angle if locking down a large number of eggs.

Geese are laid on their sides and auto turned, AND hand turned 180 once a day until lock down. Then laid on their sides to hatch.

I incubate egg at their sides and turning them 180 degrees every turn im just wonder if its possible to be vertical
and what does lockdown mean sori im only 14 years old

I'm sure you could hatch eggs without turning, but you probably wouldn't get a good hatch rate. I would say 20% if you got lucky... And yes, this would probably increase the risk of deformities. The reason for turning them is, that if you don't, the chick will develop at the bottom of the eggs, which could definitely cause problems for the chick. I would say that if you were planning to hatch eggs, then you will probably have much more luck if you turned them. It may take some time to turn them a certain amount of times a day, but it's worth it when you get those little fluff balls. :D

Last edited:
I incubate egg at their sides and turning them 180 degrees every turn im just wonder if its possible to be vertical
and what does lockdown mean sori im only 14 years old

Lockdown is when you stop turning the eggs three days before their hatch date.

No, lockdown is when you stop touching the eggs. Leave the temp the same and raise the humidity. You open the bator again until ALL birds have hatched. There are other methods, but at 14 and new to hatching simple is better for you.

Back
Top Bottom