HELP PREMATURE DUCKLING HATCHED

littlesushi44

In the Brooder
Jun 23, 2023
Our Male duck and Female who was laying on a nest of eggs had gotten killed by a wild animal. We checked her eggs to see if they were fertile and sure enough they were. At the time we didn't have an Incubator and so we did the best we could with a heat lamp, towels, box, and a heating pad. We managed to keep 3 eggs going and tonight 1 hatched just fine only needed some help. the second one was not so lucky, We chipped some egg off to help since they were having trouble and we left it alone. we looked and saw that it was bleeding and so we hurried and helped it hatch, well it came out with an intestine and messed up feet. we helped the bleed and gave it some sugar water (very little sugar) to help give it a boost we have its sibling cuddling it along with a heat lamp and some towels, it seems to be sleepy and breathing fine. I'm not sure what to do about the feet, I'd say to just wait a few days and see if they get better? or is there something I should be doing right now? Please help I'm not sure what to do but just sit here and wait! Any advice would be nice!

Our Male duck and Female who was laying on a nest of eggs had gotten killed by a wild animal. We checked her eggs to see if they were fertile and sure enough they were. At the time we didn't have an Incubator and so we did the best we could with a heat lamp, towels, box, and a heating pad. We managed to keep 3 eggs going and tonight 1 hatched just fine only needed some help. the second one was not so lucky, We chipped some egg off to help since they were having trouble and we left it alone. we looked and saw that it was bleeding and so we hurried and helped it hatch, well it came out with an intestine and messed up feet. we helped the bleed and gave it some sugar water (very little sugar) to help give it a boost we have its sibling cuddling it along with a heat lamp and some towels, it seems to be sleepy and breathing fine. I'm not sure what to do about the feet, I'd say to just wait a few days and see if they get better? or is there something I should be doing right now? Please help I'm not sure what to do but just sit here and wait! Any advice would be nice!
Just wait for tonight. It can take a little while for their little feet to open. He needs to rest. If isn't walking correctly tomorrow afternoon look into making shoes with cardboard and masking tape.

How is he this morning?
he or she is doing good! it's drinking and has pooped so I'm assuming everything is doing good. I did have to make it a "sandal" for one of it's feet and will continue to do so until I'm for sure it's for is back to normal

Attachments

• 16876449783284106786655825324659.jpg
    16876449783284106786655825324659.jpg
    738 KB · Views: 9
May I ask, what is the surface in your brooder?
I have gone to shavings under a no- slip type rug “pad” in my “just hatched” brooder, and I slowly fold back the pad so they can get used to the shavings before moving to the outdoor brooder.
I know everyone has different methods but I’m very happy with how well giving them traction has helped alleviate -most- of the funny foot/ leg issues.
I also use the same material under my eggs in my lockdown ‘bator.
But the pads in the brooder can be cleaned, swapped out as often as needed, give them lots of traction, and keep shavings out of the feed and water until they are big enough that the water and feed can be elevated a bit to keep the shavings out.
We have also tried straw (too inconsistent in quality here), and have seen others using pellets..... shavings work best for us. But the “pads” over the shavings early - shavings later on, are the best option for us

Also. Since you are using a makeshift incubator (kudos to you for creativity!)
But don’t be afraid to help your last baby if you need to.
Having been in and out of the ‘bator, and not knowing how you are monitoring temp and humidity.... there is (potentially) a higher chance that the last egg may need some help/ has been exposed to low humidity at the wrong time.

I just went through that w 4 duck eggs after my turkey eggs hatched early.
I don’t think any of the ducks would have made it if I hadn’t stepped in. And now I have 4 ducklings, headed to their new home tomorrow 💕

Search assisted hatch, or hatch assist, here. There is a ton of info. Or post here, perhaps we can help if needed!

Attachments

• 3AC96BDE-5084-4149-8E84-29E7617FFE34.jpeg
    3AC96BDE-5084-4149-8E84-29E7617FFE34.jpeg
    400 KB · Views: 7
May I ask, what is the surface in your brooder?
I have gone to shavings under a no- slip type rug “pad” in my “just hatched” brooder, and I slowly fold back the pad so they can get used to the shavings before moving to the outdoor brooder.
I know everyone has different methods but I’m very happy with how well giving them traction has helped alleviate -most- of the funny foot/ leg issues.
I also use the same material under my eggs in my lockdown ‘bator.
But the pads in the brooder can be cleaned, swapped out as often as needed, give them lots of traction, and keep shavings out of the feed and water until they are big enough that the water and feed can be elevated a bit to keep the shavings out.
We have also tried straw (too inconsistent in quality here), and have seen others using pellets..... shavings work best for us. But the “pads” over the shavings early - shavings later on, are the best option for us

Also. Since you are using a makeshift incubator (kudos to you for creativity!)
But don’t be afraid to help your last baby if you need to.
Having been in and out of the ‘bator, and not knowing how you are monitoring temp and humidity.... there is (potentially) a higher chance that the last egg may need some help/ has been exposed to low humidity at the wrong time.

I just went through that w 4 duck eggs after my turkey eggs hatched early.
I don’t think any of the ducks would have made it if I hadn’t stepped in. And now I have 4 ducklings, headed to their new home tomorrow 💕

Search assisted hatch, or hatch assist, here. There is a ton of info. Or post here, perhaps we can help if needed!
The eggs were just little embryos and they stayed in a supposed to be Styrofoam cooler but we put a good few layers of towels and we put the eggs on them, then used another layer of towels, and last but not least we used an extra basking light that we had since we have bearded dragons. We then got a cheap little incubator from Amazon lol and used it for the remaining time. I'm not sure if I should or would even be able to step in for this last egg because im not sure where it's beak is because it hasn't started breaking out of the egg but it is chirping really loudly but we don't want to hurt it since it well hasn't made a way for us to go off of yet :((. Also I'm so happy for your little birds!! We have 3 turkeys and our chicken just had 3 babies herself. We are also trying to get rid of one of our Rhode Island Reds.

Back
Top Bottom